6mmBR alternative loads

n8ess

I want to experiment with some different loads for my BR, the rifle was supplied with the custom load below, which I must say do shoot well, I just fancy trying something a little different.

It has 24inch barrel with 1-9 twist

80 grain Berger

cci 450 primer

Vit N140 32.8 grains

3086 FPS

Cheers

Neil

This is my varmint load a shoots well in most 6mmBR's.

87 Vmax

30 gns N135

Fed GM primers BR4s work as well

10 thou off the lands gives a velocity of 2900 fps from my 24" barrel.

Not sure weather your 9 twist will stabalise Berger 105 VLDs which I have had great results with my 8 twist.

Powders which work well with these are N540 or N150.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave,

I've heard the 87Vmax are good, have you tried any of the lighter weight Vmax? only I haven't heard them mentioned much in any posts, I thought they would shoot flatter than the heavier ones due to the higher velocity?

Neil

My 8 twist won't shoot anything lighter than the 87's she is throated for the longer 105's. So I couldn't get the lighter bullets near the lands and keep anything in the case. They also wouldn't shoot with large jumps to the lands.

Your 9 twist may be different.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Guest varmartin

I have a 1-8 twist Kreiger tubed custom 6mmBr also throated for 105`s...but it also shoots 75 Vmax in the .2`s with the desired terminal effects...

My load for the 75 Vmax is 33.5 grains or Reloader15, which fills the case to the bottom of the neck..@3250fps....

90 Berger LTB`s over 31.5 R15 are just amazing and all shoot into a tiny bug hole....

My favorite load is 31.5 grains of R15 over a 95 Berger VLD......my 1000 yard Mellon load !...in the lands 0.005

90 Nosler BT`s are another very accurate Game load...but not shot them at any thing other than paper ...yet.

Archived