Which sizing die.

foxyloxy

Hi all.

Its been a few years since I bought new dies so I'm after some advice.

Like many others I started off with Lee, then onto Redding and for my last few calibres it was LE Wilson.

I'm sticking with LE Wilson for my bullet seating but I'm curious to hear opinions on sizing dies. I used to neck size and only FL size if I was starting to get a tight bolt close. 

Then I changed to a bushing bump die giving 2 thou bump. Is this still the way to go? Are bushing dies a thing of the past and mandrel dies the flavour of the month or maybe a combination of both. Just assume this is for informal competition standard reloading. 

I do anneal after every firing but I don't neck turn.

Answers on a postcard please.

TIA.

12 minutes ago, foxyloxy said:

Hi all.

Its been a few years since I bought new dies so I'm after some advice.

Like many others I started off with Lee, then onto Redding and for my last few calibres it was LE Wilson.

I'm sticking with LE Wilson for my bullet seating but I'm curious to hear opinions on sizing dies. I used to neck size and only FL size if I was starting to get a tight bolt close. 

Then I changed to a bushing bump die giving 2 thou bump. Is this still the way to go? Are bushing dies a thing of the past and mandrel dies the flavour of the month or maybe a combination of both. Just assume this is for informal competition standard reloading. 

I do anneal after every firing but I don't neck turn.

Answers on a postcard please.

TIA.

Neck sizing only has lost favour (for good reasons gone into endlessly on here and elsewhere).  I use Redding and Wilson bushing dies (nothing to choose between them in performance).    I'm an exclusive user of Lapua brass; no neck turning for me and I don't use a button but I do use an mandrel expander to ensure a uniform neck shape.  I check concentricity and I've not seen any issues (unlike previously with Hornady Comp dies and RCBS)

Thanks for the reply popsbengo. It sounds like I'm on the right lines using Lapua brass too.

So am I right in saying you re-size with your bushing die then run an expander mandrel through the neck too?

Im guessing the 21st century sets of mandrels for each bullet size are the way to go over the Wilson 1 mandrel for each calibre size approach?

Thanks again. 

I run the mandrel down on new brass to take out dings and dents in the neck.

I have  mandrels I've found works for my desired neck tension, I do as you surmise, size then expand