More gong news

1967spud

Right i dont know if this will count, as it was unwitnessed. but ill try any way , i have recently made a 16"x18" gong up, piccies to follow using 15mm metal as the gong and a highways deversion sign to act as a stand(for some reason the deversion sign was left up my road while it was closed :wacko: ). Any way i have made up some new loads for my .243 ai which consist of 87g vmax 46.5g 4831sc powder and fed gm primers in a lapua prepared case running at 3260 fps average. I ran exbal at home on the pc first and printed of a range sheet and off i trotted with my range finder. I first got a reading of 475 yards which i needed 6.5 moa, wind was slight and quatering me from left to right so i aimed right of target. And opened fire, bang wooooooosh pause ding, woohoo my longest shot to date. I was well over the moon, so i decided to push my luck so i backed the landy up a way and re-rangefound the distance. I was now reading 575 yards to the gong, needing 9.5 moa i aimed and missed, i wasn't to dissapointed as i hadn't allowed for wind so i aimed extreme right of the gong but not actually aiming off the side. Bang woooooooooooooooooshh little longer silence, then the slightest of dings. I had 3 more shots at that range and hit every one, then i gave up as i only took 15 or so bullets. I am now running out of room for some realljy long shots. Sorry to bore you with all this old drivel , but i am well chuffed.

Mark

Great going Spud , your feeling the urge to stretch the rifles legs even more, what distance do you want to get out to :wacko:

Was there much impact on the steel with the 87grner at that range ,or was it just a splat?

good shooting cheers Andy :wacko:

Hi nem , tbh i would like to go to at least 800 possibly more , but as isay i am running out of room. The shot impact was just a splat as you say with about 3-4mm penetration.

Mark

Guest varmartin

Good shooting Mark....just a splat aye ?....dont think I would like to be hit with a 87 Vmax at 800 + yards.

Dont forget to add 15fps to your crono reading to get `true` muzzle velocity.....it will make a difference at extreme range.( one click could be a miss )

Good shooting Mark....just a splat aye ?....dont think I would like to be hit with a 87 Vmax at 800 + yards.

Dont forget to add 15fps to your crono reading to get `true` muzzle velocity.....it will make a difference at extreme range.( one click could be a miss )

hi mate, why add 15fps?

also would be 485 foot pounds at 800 m

Guest varmartin

Because your crono is not ` at your muzzle` its usualy a couple yards from it, and its at the muzzle were the greatest loss in velocity occurs...

Between 10-15 is usually addequate...

OK i see now mate, ill check the difference it makes in exbal unless exbal allows for that the chrono is that far away from the muzzle.

not much can beat the feelin of connectin at long range, especailly watchin the bullet impact the target through the scope! Well done Spud, sounds as tho your caught the long range bug aswell! ;)

The call of long distance shooting is very powerful but in this part of the world (Cornwall) fields are small, the land is criss-crossed by pathways and finding safe chances to really stretch the distance is difficult.

Size matters, sure, but I've found that a lot of the same challenge can be found in scaling down. I've been shooting 17s (HMR and Ackley Hornet) for the last couple of years and hitting a target at 200 or 300 yards with one of these gives the same satisfaction as a 500 or 600 yard shot with a larger calibre. But the opportunities are much greater.

I still love taking the big guns out to long range but nine out of ten trips these days sees me with my baby seventeens.

Cornishman.

Well done Mark,,, Now you have got the bug????

By the way it was nice to meet up the other day,,,

Nice one mate,, Darrel

hi ftn have you got me mixed up with some body else mate, if you havent where did i meet you lol

Archived