.300 Win Mag for Targets and Quarry?

Hey guys. I've scrapped the idea of the lever action rifle. I'd like something that can do a better job of long range work as this will be my most appropriate calibre. What can I get for under £1000 that has a heavy barrel and shoots well enough for long range Foxing and Crows? I know it's not a great budget but I'm sure there must be something suitable? I could put more into it later, so if I was to get say a Remmy I could get a AICS stock for it later to improve it. I did think there's a chance of a used TRG for that money or maybe a tad more. That would be great because I really like them.

I already have a slot for a Win Mag.

You say Parker Hales are good? Would this one be ok?.....

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/Det...al+7&Filter[NewType][]=Rifle&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Bolt%20Action&Filter[Calibre][]=.300%20Win%20Mag

I was at the Newark shooting show today and saw a Tikka T3 Tactical .300 Win Mag in a Robertson stock, it was £1400 all in. Looks like a good choice. Just get the stock as an upgrade at a later date.

I also looked at the McMillan stocks side by side with the Robertons and can say I will be going with Robertson from now on.

Just my 2p

David

If the do it in the win mag...why not a remy 700 sps varmint and put it in an AICS. Should come out to about £1,200 all in new. Will almost definitely shoot 1/2 MOA with handloads.

They don't do it in Win Mag (as far as I can see). They do the Sendero SFII and that's £1250, not completely out of reach.

What are the heavy barrel Tikka rifles like? They're cheaper, the standard Varmint is only £765. The Tikka triggers are nice. Do they shoot as well as a Remmy though?

hi njc,

what about a howa 1500 varmint 24 inch heavy barreled remmy 700 clone action available in win mag cal plus a choice of after market stocks if you want

blued black or stainless action and barrels just bought a 243 heavy barrelled stainless complete with scope and wild cat moderator for a shade over a grand. shooting like a dream out of the box in the standard stock. must admit the varminter thumbhole stocks look nice as well though.

graham.

got a 300 winnie custom as ya`l know, great gun, took some expense to get there

but you know what I like shooting,,,,,,got two parker hales 308 one cost £15o shoots sub 1/4" all the time, has had many 01's and 02's

the £290 shoots sub 1/3 most of the time and quite often sub 1/4

I shoot these out to 1000+ often

others will chime in I am sure

Silent, did you look at the link above? That's a Parker Hale but I'm not sure if it's the right one? I assume you're talking about the old Police sniper rifle? I don't think the one I've found is the right type, and the barrel doesn't look heavy enough :blink:

I'm not sure about the Howa. They look ok but I don't know enough about them. What are the stocks like? Any good?

yes I did look and thats one beautiful stalking rifle and they are real sweat to shoot

have a hunt for posts of mine and varminters to find some pics of the parkers we use 1200tx, m82,84's etc

come down for a holiday, stay at mine and you can have a play

That's a very kind offer! Next time I'm in your area I may take you up on that. Likewise if you ever happen to come to anywhere near me you're welcome to take a wander around my permissions and have a few shots. I have to say from looking at your pictures my shoots have nothing on yours, but any change of ground is fun and I'll always welcome a lesson from a better shot than myself!

I wouldnt say I am a better shot, infact I put it down to the right gear and not the most expensive gear and knowing how to use it right

another infact is that if you came out with us mad bunch, we "could" put a £150 gun in your hand, find you a target from 10 to 1000 plus yards, dial you up, add some wind and some up/down hill calc and you'll be busting bunnies, melons, eggs, veg etc etc and proberbley with first round hits

came back about an hour ago, me and a mate were shooting and I found two very small flower petals at 817 and I told him I will aim for the top one (proberbly about the size of a 50p) and that one I hit leaving the one below it, loaded another and said I will aim at the hole I just made in the dirt where the top one was and hit the same hole.

its not what ya got or what ya can afford to buy, its about knowing how to use the gear you got

I wouldnt say I am a better shot, infact I put it down to the right gear and not the most expensive gear and knowing how to use it right

another infact is that if you came out with us mad bunch, we "could" put a £150 gun in your hand, find you a target from 10 to 1000 plus yards, dial you up, add some wind and some up/down hill calc and you'll be busting bunnies, melons, eggs, veg etc etc and proberbley with first round hits

came back about an hour ago, me and a mate were shooting and I found two very small flower petals at 817 and I told him I will aim for the top one (proberbly about the size of a 50p) and that one I hit leaving the one below it, loaded another and said I will aim at the hole I just made in the dirt where the top one was and hit the same hole.

its not what ya got or what ya can afford to buy, its about knowing how to use the gear you got

nice shooting Jamie

really running out of things to aim at now then:-)

Andy

hi njc,

forgot to put it in the original post but howa put there actions into houge stocks not as heavy as the hs stock used by remmington but comfortable to hold and having a non slip finish is very comfortable even when in cold fingers. that is the basic stock as on my own rifle as for other options can only assume they are similar to other offerings.

graham.

You may not admit to being a better shot, but I recon it takes a good bloke to hit stuff at the ranges you shoot out to. I'm sure I could do it once I'd got some experience, but at the moment anything at 300yds+ is good going in my opinion. Once this Win Mag turns up I'm going to need to learn, it would be a waste of a good gun not to!

I'm still not sure what to go for. Why is it that most people use a Remmy action to build cheap custom guns? Are they good or something? I quite like the look of this CZ, I really rate them for my kind of shooting but have no idea if it will be up to the longer range stuff?

hi njc,

think most people go for a remmy action not as a start point for a custom build but as a affordable accurate rifle that are rugged and most people shoot out the first barrel and are left with a rugged accurate action that they then blue print and true and fit a after market barrel for what ever purpose they want to follow supose it has its roots in america with the early wildcat makers really.

then there are that many 700 actions sold the worlds your oster in after market bits. brought my own remmy 700 p with that in mind sort of basic semi custom to start but when the barrels shot out then re barrel with a shilen or what ever and she will be good to go again some match shooters are looking at a new barrel for each season with some calibers. supose the 700 action is the start point for upgrade gunmaking.

for a full custom job then you would probally start out with with a different action from the start. dont discount the howa rifles as i have met a couple of people in the trade that have used there actions as a starting point and they shoot as well. also cz and sako and tikkas all have there fans so i surpose it all boils down to the same thing in the end in how much money you want to spend or throw at a gun project .

i am often reminded when out shooting of a saying of my grandads that rings true still in these modern times .

" its not what you shoot but where you point it that counts."

you could have the most accurate gun in the world but it not worth a penny if you dont have the basic skills to use it.

and we have all surcumbed to the guy with a beat up old relic thats wiped the floor with everything else on the range or shooting stands. bit like silentsoul was saying in a earlier post really. and like you have already hinted to practise makes perfect never none it to make anyone worst at some thing .

graham.

practise makes perfect never none it to make anyone worst at some thing .

graham.

You've obviously never watched me shoot Skeet then! ;)

That's half the reason I started rifle shooting, because I'm so bad with a shotgun!

Come to think of it Mike Norris was telling me there's a good rifle build company who use CZ actions for all their builds. I don't remember who though. I think I will go with a CZ when I get around to buying a rifle, that's unless a Parker Hale arrives on the scene. I don't really like Tikka that much to be honest. They shoot well but the more I look at them the more I think a lot of corners have been cut when making the T3. If I spotted an old 695 or similar I'd grab it because I think they're great, but the more recent stuff doesn't impress me.

I would get a Remmy, but my mate out in Canada hates them and says he's seen more Remmys break than any other gun! Maybe that's because there are more of them around so the chances are higher? I guess I'll never know the answer to that?

i hope you ate those flowers jamie, i can,t stand senseless killing :)

Archived