What scope for lamping?

A friend of mine is looking for a scope to put on a dedicated lamping rifle. His budget is between £300 - £500, My recommendations were something from Nikon Monarch or 3-12x56 Meopta Meostar.

I would be glad to hear of any other recommendations within that price bracket.

Hi Elwood ,

Why not a decent second hand Leupold variable power - like a VX 3 6.5-20-50 long range!!

I found them nice and clear for night shooting , but as always - everyones eyes are different as in what they prefer!!!

Had a VX 2 6-18 - 40 , that was a nice scope for the money too!! ( i paid £300 at the time )...

Just a thought mate................

All the best.................

RAY............................ :D:(

hi Elwood,

well if it was me go for a iluminated reticule they are so much easier on the eyes especially if on a dedicated lamping gun all three of my main scopes are iluminated reticules 2 been mildots and 1 fine cross hair with a illuminated centre dot brillialant for foxing as threedots in a row and fire .i wouldnt bother going much over a 14mag scope as you loose to much definition at higher powers and also a bigger field of view can be useful with a scope mounted lamp and you want to drop down on to your target . you also limit the effects of paralax and having to focus all the time . another few things that are probally obivous are large objective lens 50 mm or bigger and possibly a 30 mm tube to get the light in .

now i have posted about them before but the nikko sterling nighteaters are good in my opion and havent caused or let me down at all on a 223 ,243 and 308 and howa are packageing them with their rifles at the moment so they cant be all that bad .

years ago nikko sterling where good scopes then they went down in standard but they have dragged them selves back up now so give them a look through you may be pleasently surprised.

just my humble few penth worth yours graham.

ive had numerous Leup vx3 and to be honest the rets are pretty fine for lamping unless you get the illum ret version.

Zeiss Diavari's which i now have are awsome but over budget.

Burris black diamonds are fantastic for lamping. As are burris fullfield 11's i have a 3-9x50 on my .22 and apart from my zeiss its the best glass ive used for lamping! the image is just there and you dont have to struggle finding the ret. Its also not thick to block out targets either!

He'd get a secondhand 8x56 S&B for that money with change left over, but he may not want fixed mag.

I couldn't get on with the Leupold I had, no offence to others who own them as said we're all different. Very clear glass in the day, I'd a lot of eye relief trouble, unless I had it held perfect I was getting black edges.

Thanks so far guys, I did advise him on European glass, which is why Meopta sprang to my mind along with the S&B 8x56 Hungarian

I know he would like a Zeiss or Nightforce but as he's on Under keeper wages it's out of his price range, when he asked me the question it really had me scratching my head.

The Meoptas ok I have the 7 x 50. Not as good as my Burris black diamond which is my benchmark glass. Well impressed with that, beats my binoculars and all my glass hands down.

Look for a secondhand Black diamond, I got mine from someone on here and its cock on.

A brand new 8x56 Doctor optic illuminated dot ret :D . I have had one for many years , and its has put pay to the odd charlie :(

Good glass and good back up service if you need it, a mate of mine dropped his and sent it back ,they refurbished it and sent it back and didnt charge a penny. ;)

At the moment im using a Burris Fullfield 3.5-10 x 50 and cant fault it, gathers loads of light.

Most of the time its set on 8x mag, and that leaves a good field of view to "drop down" onto your target.

dont think you would need anything bigger but quality is something to go for, its great been able to see your target clearer than looking directly at it!

Archived