Browning BLR

Hey guys. Now I've got a slot for a .300 Win Mag I've been looking at rifles that could be good for my intended use (Bear, Boar and big Deer). I was intending to go for a heavy barrel rifle so I could target shoot with it too, but in all fairness I'm unlikely to ever get into serious targets anyway. I've spotted the Browning BLR in a magazine I was reading - it's a lever action like the old Winchester but with a 3 round box magazine instead of a tube and front locking bolt like an AR15 (so strong). It looks great, and at 7lb 12oz unscoped is no lightweight. It could be just what I'm looking for. It even takes apart so you can fit it in a 24" case for flying etc! Do you think the 24" barrel would be long enough to get a good amount of power from the cartridge?

Has anyone ever shot one? What's the accuracy like? Build quality ok? Is the action reliable? I haven't seen one before, but it looks handy.

A friend has one in .223 that has been worked on by Armalon. Its a nice gun and good action. Certainly very portable if possibly a bit punchy in win mag without a brake....Its a bit of a different grip than the upright pistol grip of a bolt rifle. For boar it could be the ideal cover gun. Personally I'd rather have a winny in a good bolt action and play on stuff way out there...but if that's not your thing then the BLR could be perfect for you.

Guest varmartin

Looks like it would kick the stuffin out of you too.....saw it in the same mag...

One little lever to hold the barrel in ? smacks of inconsistency if you ask me...

But as the reviewer said...OK for pigs......( not sure what he meant by that ;) )

The only reason I thought of it really is that I'm being a little silly with my ideas lately. The .375 is perfect for what I want apart from being a bit heavy and a bolt action but the police here really don't like it. Being realistic there is a good to certain chance of me getting out to Europe to shoot Boar, back to Canada for Bear or Moose, or in the UK for large Deer and maybe Boar. The .375 is excessive for all but Bear (they bite so I wanted to hit them in a way they wouldn't forget!). The chances of me ever getting out to shoot the Big 5 are pretty limited so I don't really need a rifle for that. Out of all of them, Boar are what I want to shoot, so a lever gun would be good. My mate has a .444 Marlin which I can't fault apart from its BC. At long range I think it would be hopeless, not that any lever gun is perfect.

A .300WM lever gun seems sensible. With the good bolt lock up it has and the box mag it should be quite accurate to a lot greater distance than the .444 and still carry enough grunt to put a Bear off at close range if it's running at me. The quick follow up shots seem useful and a quickly replacable magazine would be better than a mag tube. I'm not the worlds best shot by a long way so I think that really long range hunting is out with me. I just don't do enough of it to get or stay good enough for live targets.

If this gun can throw an accurate ish shot out to 300 yards at a push that would do me fine.

My other option I'm considering is selling the .375H&H and swapping it for a .444 Marlin. Then I'd get a heavy barrelled bolt action .300 at a later date for when I plan to shoot Deer on the plains instead of the woods in Canada. What I really need to find out is whether or not this .300 lever gun can shoot accurately enough for the plains. If it can that is what I'll go for :lol:

What you have to remember is the .375 will do everything the .300 will but with a bigger punch, if you load 235 or 250 grain heads the .375 is relatively flat shooting.

Stick with it, I sold a .300 win mag and went for a .375, not that I dislike the .300 if I had to change my .375 I wouldn't hesitate to go back to one.

It's a lot of powder per bang though

I have worked on and shot Browning lever guns. They are as problematic as other lever guns with regards to bedding, and accuracy. Generally they are 1.5 to 3 MOA guns with most factory ammo but can be tuned with handloads.I like lever guns and own several from 25-20 to 45-70 but they are short range numbers. The BLR is better for distance. I know elk and mule deer hunters who use them.

All that said, I wouldn't even consider trading a good .375 for a 300WM/BLR. If it's "too much" for bear (or any other game) hand load to 375 Winchester velocities. Less recoil and good killing power up close. That's what reloading is about, right?? Tailoring the load to the need?? Give it a try.~Andrew

If I could do that Andrew I'd be a very happy boy. The trouble is over here in the UK we have to jump through hoops for everything and a .375 is considered just too much gun for many police forces to even think about giving them out. I can't get expanding ammo for it, and the only area I have large enough Deer to justify having it is covered by a force that will no allow the calibre. For that reason I can't have one, so it's not that I don't want it :lol:

If i was in your situation,this is what i would buy.

The load variations for whatever game you want to hunt are here in .308 caliber are they not ?

People i give you the Sako finnwolf .308 underlever rifle. The only underlever Sako ever made. production ceased in the mid 70's. It never really took off for Sako due to it's price compared to the Winchester 88 and the BLR but was a fine rifle with a very slick action.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Hunting-sh.../p-85592524.htm

Archived