A VALENTINE TREAT

nemasis243

Well started the night by picking the girlfriend up and taking her for a slap up meal because it was Valentines, :lol:

I know ,but you have to keep them sweet !

Anyway as she is a nurse she was going onto to shift at 10 so we had a meal and I dropped her off by 9, I was on the road kitted up and charlie hunting by quarter past 10 :lol:

Got down to a place Dave and I were going to go to last night ,but due to the fog , we gave it a miss,

I got to the yard and there was patchy mist in the air , but I wanted to have a look at a bait I had there, as the farmer had told me that it was nearly all gone.

I set the quad up and fixed the lamp on top of the scope, I must say I am not a lover of them , but its needs must at certain times.

I personally find that there is no replacement for someone holding a lamp for you, I have shot hundreds of foxes with scope mounted lamps but have been impressed,but thats a personal thing ;)

Anyhow off I trundelled on the quad , driving across the first field I flicked the lamp on ,there was a fox just sitting there 160yrds away just looking straight at me,

I turned of the land held lamp ,then the quad and got the rifle ,I flicked on the scope lamp and eased the red dot onto its head, I slowely closed the bolt and took first pressure on the trigger,then a little more and Boom , number 1 in the bag.

I inspected the fox and drove off across to the bait , I got to an elevated position and got down on the bipod, I flicked the lamp on and here was charlie having supper, I moved the rifle left and right and here was another fox trotting up the field to join his mate.

I thought this could get interesting, they both were not bothered by the lamp ,so I just watched them for about 5mins,

The bait was only 120yrds away and the 2foxes were getting stuck in , it was funny as the first fox on the carcuss didnt bat an eye lid when the other fox joined him.

I waited and waited as they got closer together , in my mind I was saying ,"go on stand in front of one another" but they never did.

I sqeezed of and took the first one that was on the bait, the other one ran about 10yrds and stopped, I had all ready racked the bolt and was waiting for him to stop, as he did , Boom , number 2-3 .

14022009436.jpg

I returned to a good vantage point and called for a fair while , but nothing showed, so I decided to call it a night, as I drove back to the yard , I had the oppotunity to take a picture of a Partridge that was Jugged tight in a tuffed of grass.

14022009432.jpg

Its amazing what you see when your out and about, :lol:

I got back to the farm and seen the farmer ,who told me he had another dead sheep on the otherside of the moor, so I decided to go and have alook ,

Boy was it wet I drove the quad into a patch where I had to get off and push as well as try and drive it ,I thought I was stuck for a moment,but managed to get it out, :blink:

Anyhow got to the bait and here's another fox having a meal, he wasnt much fussed on the lamp,each time I got near him he started backing off from the carcuss.

I got set and as the light hit him I sqweezed off and caught him just as he was turning to run away,

14022009433.jpg

I decided to call it a night , as I was leaving the farm and driving down the lane a fox ran straight across infront of me ,I stopped the car got the gear out and walked up tp the nearest gate , here was charlie sitting in about 80yrds away, so I finished the night in stlye

12022009423.jpg

Thats not fair :blink: There is me stuck on an oil rig and you off enjoying yourself :lol: .

some graphic pics there mate, what bullet are you using on them ? expansion looks quite good.

Just a thought, have you ever though of selling lamping holidays ? you could make a fortune :lol::lol:

Ads

What was the bait you were using and how do you place it down?

Jees Nem! they don't call it the 'Valentine's Day Masacre' for nothing I guess :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D . You will become known as the 'Al Kapone' of the fox world!

best wishes,

Finman

Thats not fair :rolleyes: There is me stuck on an oil rig and you off enjoying yourself :D .

some graphic pics there mate, what bullet are you using on them ? expansion looks quite good.

Just a thought, have you ever though of selling lamping holidays ? you could make a fortune :lol::lol:

Ads

Hi mate the round I am using in the 243win is a 58grn Vmax with 43grns Vit 140 behind it, its 3800fps and is very flat shooting .

Ideal for what I do , I havent had one get up and shake its head and run yet :rolleyes:

Have a good shift , bet you cant wait to get off the rig and get some lead dowm the tube,

cheers Andy

CLIVEj - I have a few dead uwe's down on that ground ,but use anything thats smells, fish oil,rotten fish,rabbit guts and cat food.

These come into their own in the summer as they stink .

Depending on what time time your foxes are feeding ,there are different ways to use baits, if foxes are feeding heavy on a bait at night I will always top it up just before sunset, if when I get there and theres one on it I will feed it earlier.

If its a new bait I will pile the grub on , so I have as many feeding as I can ,then cut down as the days go on so the foxes know that they have to be there first for grub, this will give you more shooting in less time ,

If you have 8 or 10 foxes comming to a baity through the night you are in for a long sit.

If you have the same foxes comming within 3hrs its a lot easier.Foxes are creatures of habit and you have to change that habit to suit you.

Its a little hard to explain but I hope you get the idea.

The most I have seen at one time is 6foxes within 15ft radius of a carcuss ,as one moved off another moved in , it was like they knew the pecking order they had to follow.

All the best Andy ;)

Hi Captin ,

Well you certainly buggered up their night of love!!!!!!!! ;) ;)

As always mate , a great writeup and some nice shooting too!!!! ;)

All the best...........

RAY................................... :D;)

Archived