When Vicky met Ackley.

6mmBR

Well it had been a while since Nemasis and I had got together for a shoot,the last being our efforts at the turkey farm before Xmas. What with us both being busy in work and other commitments it just hadn't happened.

With the weather disruption this week we thought our efforts would be dashed again.

There was a break in the weather on Friday and Andy gave me a bell, "fancy a spin down tonight Vern wants to have a spin around the estate"

I didn't need asking twice, I packed my gear in the car, plenty of warm clothes and my trusty .22-250 AI.

The roads were good and the hours journey to the estate went quick.

Andy and Vern had got the truck ready by the time I arrived, so it was just a case of grabbing the rifle and jumping in the back of the Landy.

The ground around the estate is still very soft so we had to stick to the tracks.

We drove down the track next to a field of stubble turnips and Andy picked up a pair of eyes, but the fox was sky lined and not safe.We drove around to get a differnt angle to get the shot. We got on the fox but with the narrow lane Vern could not turn head on to the fox to make an easy shot off the bipod. My only solution was to take the shot free hand or to shoot left handed and use the roof as a rest.

I opted to try the shot left handed, the only thing which caught me out was the safety which was a bit tricky to turn off week handed.

The shot was around 150 yards, I locked the cross hair on its chest and sent a 52 Berger @ 4070 fps on its way, the resounding thud came back and Charlie number 1 was in the bag.

Rich the gate man hopped out to go and get the fox back which turned out to be a very large vixen with a very dark coat.

Vern was chuffed as that ment fewer cubs to deal with over the summer.

On we went Andy lamping the fields either side of the track. We dropped down to some old stubbles from the summer, Andy said we've never seen a fox in this field. I think that was tempting fate as the lamp traversed the bottom of the field there was a pair of eyes looking back, All I could see was a head sticking up above the grass looking at us, I lined up the cross hairs and sent another Berger on is way, we heard a sharp crack come back indicating a head shot.

Rich retrieved the fox prooving to be another vicky. This one again was a big vixen and by the look of her full belly full of cubs.

Verns smile broadend, as the last time we were out we had all dog foxes so 2 vixens was good stuff.

We moved on to Jims estate, the grounds a lot higher up so there was more snow lying on the fields.

We spotted a pair of foxes and I shot one the other pushed off rather quick.

Vern shouted "we'll pick that later lets push on and see if we can cut that bugger off"

We sped up the road and into the next field, the fox was running down towards the wood, Vern stopped the Landy and I got down behind the rifle.

Andy barked at the fox to stop it but no response, I was tracking it in the scope, Andy let out are large meeeoooooww, the fox came to and abrupt halt and as it stopped I fired, I watched the round strike poleaxing it instantly.

We picked the foxes up which proved to be a dog and a vixen.

A good job was done and Vern was chuffed 3 vixens in one night and a dog fox to boot.

Lambing will be starting mid March so hungry vixens on the patch are not good.

003.jpg

I'm sorry the pictures a bit naff, but it was so cold the batteries in the camera didn't want to charge the flash.

We got back to the yard and I looked at my mobile 3 missed callls from my wife. Phoned her and we'd had more snow at home which wasn't forecast.

I got within 15 miles of home and the M4 was down to one lane and driving towards home it got worse with taxi's going side ways around round abouts.

Lucky I had my works keys as this was only a mile away and we have an empty flat at the moment so I thought it would be safer to crash there and get home across the common when the weather improved next morning.

All in all an eventfull evening.

Cheers Andy for the invite.

Roll on the warmer weather though.

Dave

Shame we didnt know you couldnt get home we could have gone to another place for a few more ;)

Glad you enjoyed ;)

Had the other estates on the phone today, they have sheep there and are lambing if a few weeks so need to do a job up there , speak later cheers Andy ;)

Hi Dave

Great to see the "A" team back together, never tried a left handed shot, must be a bit tricky, well done buddy

Steve

Cheers Steve, the left hand shot was not to bad as it was supported off the bipod on the Landys roof.

It was sods law because of the narrow lane Vern couldn't square the landy up and the fox was on the wrong side for a right hander. It was either that or a free hand shot. The safety mucked me up a bit and I had to reach over to disengage it.

Thanks for the kind comments,the A team I don't know about that. Andy does the work lamping them and getting them in range I just pull the trigger.

I was impressed at his cat impersonations :P it certainly stopped Charlie in his tracks :)

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

Very well done boys...nice to hear about some lamping ....nothing going on down here for me...I must catch up with the Parker twins and get out again :)

Very well done boys...nice to hear about some lamping ....nothing going on down here for me...I must catch up with the Parker twins and get out again :P

Hi Martin, I think we'll all end up with them. Think it will be keeping up with the Parkers :)

Cheers

Dave

Another good nights work lads , well done. Love the title of the post , very creative !!!

Cheers Foxhunter, yes the post title sprang to mind when Andy and I were driving around last night.

I still like Rays "a good stuffing at the turkey farm" that really did make me smile.

Cheers

Dave

nice shooting yet again ;)

003Large.jpg

Cheers Foxhunter, yes the post title sprang to mind when Andy and I were driving around last night.

I still like Rays "a good stuffing at the turkey farm" that really did make me smile.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave ,

Well done mate on another good night with the Captin!!!! :D:o

Nice title too!!! ;)

As for " a good stuffing at the turkey farm" , what can i say - shall never forget that experience thanks to you lads!!!! ;) ;)

Hope you feel better soon as well mate!!!

All the best..................

RAY....................................... :D;)

Another great write up dave and another good result,good when you can take those dificult shots and make it pay off,i guess we have been lucky up here verry little snow

Archived