Black Powder storage boxes - Construction questions

Guest Tiff

I'm thinking about getting into the whole black powder scene again. Well more specifically thinking about getting a small cannon/punt gun made up....my friends 50BMG just isn't enough ;)

So with regards to the storage box, what plywood should it be made of? Also how should the 6mm interior ply be attached to the box - is gluing, screwing or is a mortise and tenon style best? Obviously solid brass fittings but what type of glue should I use?

Basically I don't want to make it wrong, but more specifically use ply & glues that will react with each other or pose a possible ignition risk through reaction/vapours when combined etc.

Hope that makes sense, and any thoughts on construction/materials would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tiff.

i dont know the dimensions Tiff, we buy them in. But you must not use screws on the construction etc. Buiscuit joints etc are the way to go. I believe its 10mm ply they use.Personally i think they are far more dangerous than loose canisters. Its effectively, a very sturdy wooden case, ie a bomb.

Glue ? i would reckon good old pva. Its water based, and very strong indeed. If you require more strength, then search for some "cascamite" its an old fashioned but extremely strong water mixed wood glue, that comes in powder form. I,ve deliberatly broken joints made with this, and its the surrounding wood thats snapped....not the joint.

Archived