passing ground ..info needed

as you can see by the pic its out in the open but its only 20 acers of land but its right in the middle of a forrest were the deer cross over to get on to the other side of the wood and there crossing over all the time ..now i aint got no open ticket yet and im thinking it may not get passed becouse its only 400+ yrds and thats the longest part off the land the line you can see running across the land is about 312yrds ..but im thinking building a high seat but it will be made out of scaffolding and be at least 30ft high so to cover the land plus makeing it safe to shoot ...there is a road that runs to the farm house and there is a right of way for walkers along the road but it will be 70ft from the high seat and my back will be to the road and it aint used much so im told ..what are the chances of getting it passed ..will tell the police i will use a shot gun if i have to it may help ? i now have the rights to the land ,the owner said they never thought of letting it before they did not know they had the rights to shoot the deer yes its there land ? iv asked police if its passed and it aint ..may have to let it out to you lads on a day by day rate ..theres muntie ,fellow,fox, hares, seen the tracks in the snow to day ..bit like the M1 motor way :lol: im useing a 25-06 rifle and would like to shoot them my self

1243hy.jpg

35yj5j.jpg

Bigun.

To my understanding shot guns may only be used when deer are proven to be causing dammage to farm crops (when farmers rarely ever had a rifle) or for humane dispatch of an injured deer, so l think that option may be out.

50mtrs from the centre of the highway, and the rules of distress/harresment/etc to any road user comes into play. lf as you say it's hardly used you should be able to mitigate that one... Ronin et al should be a bit more help with this....

Get all the maping you can of the surounding area.... nearest major roads/habitation etc and put a reasonable request to your FLO and you may be happily surprised at the outcome.

Good luck.

Ratty.

Well,I've got smaller pieces of land that have been passed for centrefire,so,I cannot see that the acreage would be a problem,and,if you use a highseat,then it woulod be hard for them to say no....in my opinion,and,to put that into perspective,I am in the Avon & Somerset area,and,they are one of the strictest forces out there...........martin.

p.s. I have just had a small market garden passed as long as I use a highseat,and,it is a lot smaller than that land.

i thought that you could shoot deer with a shot gun as long as the size of the slug/slugs was was over a sertain size ?

In my opinion (and thats all it is) forget the idea of using a shotgun, regardless of what legal loopholes you may find to justify thier use, they are the tools of cowboys when it comes to deer (other than when dealing with RTC's or possibly wounded small deer) I have been a professional stalker for 20 years and can count on less than one hand the number of deer that I have shot with a shotgun including RTC's. If you have reason to own a firearm, permission to shoot on the ground and pose no safety or security risk then there is no reason for the constabulary that issued your FAC not to word the conditions such that they allow you, rather than the Chief of Police, to decide where you shoot. I would also be very wary of constructing a 30' high seat out of scafolding as you would leave yourself wide open to all sorts of problems if a member of the public was to fall from it (it doesn't matter a jot that they shouldn't have been there in the first place!). No-one really seems bothered about normal sized high-seats despite the fact that they do come under HASAW act, Ladders act etc but they do get exited about Stalag Luft 15 style towers! If the landowner is bothered about deer damage then I would recomend that you find a way to get on and shoot some fallow does before the end of the season (march 31) and some bucks before the end of their season (april 30) otherwise you will have them wingeing all through the close season. Maybe you could get a friend with a less restrictive FAC to help you in the early stages until you get your conditions changed. Assuming the the woodland around your field is stalked, it would be well worth making contact with the neighboring stalkers and getting an agreement to cross boundarys to recover dead or lost deer, few people do this until its too late but i've found that by making contact before you have a problem you can form good relationships that work for the benefit of everyone. The Police may talk about qualifications or mentoring, this is a controversial subject and all I would say is that I know of lots of people who were reluctant to do the DSC1 course and felt forced to do it but they all really enjoyed it and learnt an awful lot when they finally bit the bullet. If you do a course, I would advise that you do it with one of the more well known organisors as there are a few mickey mouse ones out there. Judging from the satalite photo, I would say that your piece of ground could prove very productive, good luck with it! JC

thanks for all your replys i am taking it all in :lol: first off i do have other ground thats passed for deer and i use a 25-06, iv never shot a deer with a shot gun and dont really wont to ,but i was going to tell the police this as i know it may help change there mind , i do shoot my other land by myself had two reds off one bit of ground only the other day so i dont think the police cant start saying i cant shoot deer till i get a ds1 as its too late plus you dont have to have one, in my mind its a money spinner for the likes of BASC and such likes i already have some one showing me the ropes who has a DSC2 PLUS any info i need is right here on the net :( this ground does look good dont it going by the foot prints in the snow there every day crossing over ..most of the ground around the forrest is shot so most must be passed for rifle just not this little bit :( martin your bit of post has made me feel better ,i now have hope :( the tower i was thinking of putting up would only be to a 25ft platform with sides so it would be 30ft high and the sides would just have cammo netting over it ..the forrest do have 40ft+ towers in the wood already the ones like you see in the fims starlag 17 so one more wont hurt ..plus i would take away the ladders to make it safe ..plus its so far away from peoples homes so its to far away for kids to just bump in to it as its 5 mile to the nearest town ..like i said at the begining thanks for all your replys :lol:

This is the biggest loop hole in the firearms act which police tend to lost with.

You say that you don't have an open ticket yet and the land isn't past for that calibre, yet someone with an open ticket who has the right to shoot on the same bit of land can.....

It's not about land being safe it's the person behind the rifle.

Get hold of the BASC and get them on the case.

One question is why on earth would you want to build a 30ft+ high seat?????? I wouldn't want to climb that ladder with a rifle on my back.

12-14ft will be plenty ( i know that the FC have to adhere to health & safety and their high seats are not allowed to exceed a certain height unless you wear a harness and hard hat)

There is no reason that cannot be passed at all looking at the pics.

ps: you ought to deal with Gwent police!!!!!!! A frigging nightmare to deal with, but do you ground work and they will come round to your thoughts

the only real reason why i want the tower to be 25ft high is better safety ..my flo is mad about it ..if they come back and say it can be lower than that and they are happy for me to shoot it ,so be it .lower it is ;) but i must say my hopes are getting higher after takeing in your words :lol:

I have never heard of a Firearms Liason Officer telling anyone how high their high seats need to be! He must be an expert stalker, maybe we could all learn a lot from him. I should tuck yourself under his wing and take in all the knowledge and experience that he has to give and not worry about what us inexperienced muppets may think. Best of luck! JC

beleave it or not i asked my flo if it was ok to have this other land i have passed for deer .he tryed to fob me off by saying the deer are doing no harm on that land so i thinks right away this man is a bit of a anti ..{deer lover} . i said i dont care if they are or if they arnt i want it passed or some one else will shoot them and i will lose my rights to shoot on the land ..he passed it ,little did i know it was already passed some years befor ..staffordshire police are not known for giveing any thing away even if it is free ? thats why i asked about the in and outs on this bit of land as it will help me fight it if i have to .you have to be seen to be doing the right thing, to much safty is better than not enough in the flo eyes ..my flo is not a hunting man and knows nothing about hunting at all ..ex copper now flo ? nice guy though ;) iv never even sat in a high seat so i know nothing about them apart from what iv read about them on the net ..i always go in to what im doing or about to do so i read up alot before i do it ,thats if im not shown first ..all this deer shooting is very new to me but im learning very fast from you guys ..as for my flo he likes the deer so you can see were im coming from ..

Bigun

More for info than anything else, He who has the shooting rights does not necessarily need to be the landowner, in other words the landowner can sell [permanently, if not the rights are only leased] the shooting/sporting rights. Get the landowner to check the deeds at some point in the future.

No FLO has the right to insist on the height of the high seat but lets not get me ranting about FLO's or the law today ....... I'm happy today :wacko::wacko:

shooting rights ..funny thing is i was thinking the same as you on this one ..does the land owner still own the shooting rights ? all i know as now is she owns the land out right ,will be seeing her tomorrow and will be asking ..the land is not passed under the farms name but like you have said it could belong to the old owner before her ..thats if it was not passed down ..i hope we are both wrong in are thinking :( well looking on the bright side of things iv seen another farmer to day a bit up from this one who has deer on his land .he shot a stag only a few days ago and when i said i would pay him to shoot them his eyes lit up ..you pay me to shoot them ..he said :wacko: ..gave him my card ..he said he will be in touch with a smile on his face ;) once you say money to a farmer round my way you in :wacko:

Bigun he's farmer. He's now on the blower asking his mates what to charge you and once he's gone down that road its only a matter of time before some Git offers more.

Just knew my happiness wouldn't last ;):D

You enjoy buddy I'm just housebound with loads o' snow outside and the cabin fever is startin to kick in.

i dont mind paying a bit but if its to much he can keep it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

just to let you all know it got passed today :( been told not to bait up the deer as the land owners around will not like it ? can they stop me ?

just to let you all know it got passed today ;) been told not to bait up the deer as the land owners around will not like it ? can they stop me ?

I wouldn't bait them. Just put a Deer lick down with some apple or aniseed scent on it. It's for the wellbeing of the Deer, to keep stocks healthy for the long term ;)

Archived