Opening up a bolt face

This is one for the boys in the know out there...

As i have already posted im thinking of a 7mm mag (think im going for the 7mm SAUM). What i am thinking is to base it on a long action sako 75 (270). The sako cause i like the action and would like it the same as the PPC.

What i want to know is this :- How easy is it to open up the bolt face of a 308 to that of the 7mm SAUM bolt face ?

Then, once the bolt face is opened up.

What do i need to do to the extractor ? Will the standard one still work ?.

Also with the mag case being fatter will it still cycle out of the 270win drop mag ? or will i need a centre fed mag ?

So many questions......Any help appreciated.

Ads :)

I am not as familiar with the Sako 75 action as some but i think that opening up the boly face is a no no because part of the sidewall is already quite thin.

I have done this modification on a Borden Timberline bolt opening it up from 308 to magnum when building a 257 Weatherby.

This action came with a sako style extractor which had to be repositioned in order for the claw to ride over the rim reliably.

I did this by brazing a shim half the thickness of the difference between the 308 and magnum boltface diameters, into the extractor slot and re-machining it.

The SAUM will not feed from the standard 75 mag so some re-working will have to be done there as well.

A straight swap to a 280 Rem, 280 AI or 284 Win will give the 7mm you desire and save you a lot hassle.

Ian.

Archived