HELP

nell

Hi guy's im posting this on behalf of my mate who is ripping his hair out (whats left of it :( )

Problem is after recently having his savage .223 fitted with an IOR scope, today was the first chance to try it out and get it zeroed.

Fireing 3 shot goups it was consistently putting the first in the bull then the next 2 out at 10 oclock, at 50 yds the strays where 2 inches out and at 100yds 4 inches.

Bullets used where 60gr V MAX...24grs N133

Any advice will be much appreciated

NELL

Another for a loose mount screw, if all is well try the S&B or another scope that is known to perform on it.

Other than that the only other thing maybe the barrel contacting the fore end when it gets any heat in it, unlikely though unless it has also been removed from the stock recently.

A

Thanks for the input guy's, but BEATTIE is officialy bald :)

We thought we had crcked it as when we checked the rings there was a fair bit of movment in most of the screws..

All tightend and off to the range, fired 5 this time with the same result first in the bull with the rest approx 4in at 10 oclock in a loose inch and half group :mad:

Any more good ideas most welcome

NELL

nell,

As the rifle shoots well with another scope it may not be the rifle. So, a few suggestions - have you checked ALL screws are tight eg (1)action screws (2) the screws that hold the scope mounting blocks onto the action (3) screws holding the rings onto the blocks, if there are any (4) are the scope rings correctly aligned and not putting stress on the scope tube?. If that's all ok, I can only see one other possibility - a duff scope. Would it be possible to mount the scope on another rifle to eliminate that variable?.

I had a Swaro 6x42 which would shoot 4 or five into a nice group then jump 9" left and shoot another good group. Took me ages to discover that, because I usually use 3 shot groups for zeroing. Missed a few roe because of that.

Let us know how you get on

Peter

Guest varmartin
Thanks for the input guy's, but BEATTIE is officialy bald :mad:

We thought we had crcked it as when we checked the rings there was a fair bit of movment in most of the screws..

All tightend and off to the range, fired 5 this time with the same result first in the bull with the rest approx 4in at 10 oclock in a loose inch and half group :mad:

Any more good ideas most welcome

NELL

what happens if you fire 10 rounds ??

Re zero for the 10 o`clock group and have one step out...4 inches low right !! ???...most odd :)

Petel, as i said earlier we thought we had solved the problem after discovering the loose screws on the rings so didnt remove the scope to check the base screws.

Scope was fitted at border barrels where the rings were lapped so there should'nt be a problem with pressure on the tube, should there????

I have the same scope on one of my rifles and its shooting bug holes so i would be relutant to take it off to try no beattie's rifle,but it is an option!!!!!

Varmartin

Dont know about what would happen fireing 10 as we ran out of ammo just before he threw the gun over the hedge :):mad:

Was thinking the same about zeroing on the 10 oclock group, wont get a chance to get back out until next wkend..

Going to call border and see if they come up with anything, so watch this space..

Thanks very much for input guy's

NELL

Just an idea especially as your now out of ammo,

Was/is the ammo definetly bang on?

I once had a similar problem with PRVI partisan. It shot lovely tight groups with 200 out of 300 that I bought. I stopped homeloading as these were just as cheap.

The last 100 put me off them altogether as they were so inconsistent and went back to homeloads.

Just an idea especially as your now out of ammo,

Was/is the ammo definetly bang on?

I once had a similar problem with PRVI partisan. It shot lovely tight groups with 200 out of 300 that I bought. I stopped homeloading as these were just as cheap.

The last 100 put me off them altogether as they were so inconsistent and went back to homeloads.

Eldon, the ammo was made up exactly the same as it has been for the last couple of years, which has been spot on...

Rifle and scope going back to border tomorrow they going to check it out....

Keep you posted

NELL

Archived