SAKO QUAD

Guest Sprags

Now I'm quite happy with my .243 I have decided to better myself with my .22lr and my.17 hmr.

I have a CZ .22 rimmy, synthetic stock and a CZ American .17HMR wooden stock. I cannot fault the .22lr so should I part ex the .17 and get a CZ .17hmr Sillouette (synthetic stock) or would part ex'ing both and getting a Sako Quad be the better move? ;)

I haven't done much with the .17 to be honest so is it worth keeping it at all? :D

Regards,Sprags!!

The only downside to the Quad is that you would have to re-zero when you change the barrels, so is it worth the hassle??? I haven't used my .22 rimmy or .17hmr much over the last year....but certainly wouldn't part with either of them.

You could always get a Wild-dog stock to pimp up the .17hmr.....

I have several 17HMR's and none of them are heavy barreled (well, one is a swamped barrel; heavier at the muzzle) but all shoot very well if they are fed a good Lot of ammo. I would see no gain in accuracy, generally speaking, going with a heavy barrel. You could get a heavy rifle and couple it with a poor Lot of ammo and end off worse than before (Til you get a different batch of ammo, that is!) JMHO, of course.~Andrew

I have several 17HMR's and none of them are heavy barreled (well, one is a swamped barrel; heavier at the muzzle) but all shoot very well if they are fed a good Lot of ammo. I would see no gain in accuracy, generally speaking, going with a heavy barrel. You could get a heavy rifle and couple it with a poor Lot of ammo and end off worse than before (Til you get a different batch of ammo, that is!) JMHO, of course.~Andrew

I can only talk from personal experience.

I use my quad within 50 - 150 yard range in 22lr and 17 HMR

I have a quad and a set of lilja match barrel

I also use a burris Quad scope with Bullet drop compensator

There is no need to rezero when changing caliber and accuracy is unbelievable

I believe Reloading Solution have stock of 01 17 HMR lilja barrel.

I suggest you grab it before its gone or before the price going up due to the dollar exchange rate

There is no need to rezero when changing caliber

Agree with that even though I just have the .22lr barrel. I can remove it ten times a day and it'll still shoot fine. Just record the zero for a second barrel and there should be no problem swapping. No real difference in changing the calibres once you've your homework done on how the scope should be set for each calibre.

John

What londonhunter is referring to is the burris quad scope ( also part of the Beretta empire) is designed specifically for this rifle, the turrets have coloured rings on the thimbles relating to the four calibres. You zero each barrle/cal and set the matching coloured ring to barrel to zero then when changing barrel just turn the turret to have the correct colour ring to zero and you have it.

Redfox

I've tried the Burris scope on my Quad and whilst it's a dream to use when changing barrels, i wasn't happy with it's light gathering abilities.

It has a 32 mm objective so lamping performance could be better though it does have very clear optics. As a day scope, top notch !

I have a Leupold Vari-x 3, 4.5 - 14 x 50 mm on mine. Using high mounts, i can change barrels without dismounting the scope and it's just a few clicks of both turrets to be on target again. ;)

John

What londonhunter is referring to is the burris quad scope ( also part of the Beretta empire) is designed specifically for this rifle, the turrets have coloured rings on the thimbles relating to the four calibres. You zero each barrle/cal and set the matching coloured ring to barrel to zero then when changing barrel just turn the turret to have the correct colour ring to zero and you have it.

Redfox

Thanks RF, I did actually miss that bit of his post. What I was getting at is that it shouldn't be a problem changing the zero using clicks for different calibres using a normal, for want of a better word, scope. Once you have initially zeroed whichever calibres on the rifle.

Basically what Streeker said.

John

Your right, sadly the scope is aimed at the daytime shooters, in USA most states lamping/night shooting is illegal, so it isnt a problem, we are quite lucky in some ways here!

Redfox

Yeah I agree. I'm on a few American forums, the law varies widely on nightshooting, from absolute no-no to yeah fire away. Also in certain states they have areas where you would be let lamp using 6v lamps but not 12v! I've a 50mm scope on my Quad now, if I ever have the spare money I'd go for a high end 56mm for it. Overkill I know, but good scopes stay in fashion don't they.

Gray

Get rid of the .17HMR and build a nice .22 based on your CZ?

I was set on getting a new .17 and you have thrown a spanner in the works now Chris :lol:

Unless you are permanantly on subbies and shooting sub 80 yards I cannot see any advantage other than ammo cost and noise of a .22LR over a 17HMR. The 17 is flatter and goes out to 150 yards easily.

17AH would be a better bet than either, I am toying with outing my Shilen barrelled 10/22 for one maybe next year if all goes to plan. Just a shame we cannot have semi 17s.

A

Archived