shooting sticks

I have been thinking of getting a new tripod and have narrowed down the list to the stoney point polecat explorer or knobloch tripods. Both are expensive compared to the garden cane option,which I have used for the last few years.

The problems I find with the green canes is firstly lack stability on hard ground e.g foresty paths and secondly they have a knack of slapping off one another at the wrong moment . I am going to continue to custmise my garden canes and improve them. But in the mean time like the idea of the telescopic ones. Any suggestions .

Hi, can't really comment about the tripods as I use the bipod version but what I can say is that the Polecat (Stoney Point?) products are far superior to the Knoblock version. The rest element on the polecat is a separate unit so that downward pressure on it does not try to force the legs apart as it does in the simpler cross stick design. (I didn't explain that very well but I hope that you get the idea) If I had to replace my sticks tomorrow I would buy exactly the same again (The Stoney Point or Polecat Bipod with just one adjusting point on each leg (the version with two adjusters does go lower for sitting shots but, as the adjusters are the weak link in the product, i'll settle for as few as possible)) JC

Dave, your'e getting very posh now,

just lie down in the mud on the bipod like we all do.

I've got one of those telescopic tripods, they also clatter and

take ages to adjust if you change from sitting to standing.

It's now standing in the corner.

My favourite is the long 25" bipod for prone to sitting shots.

Quite good if one has very uneven ground or sideways on a bank.

But not perfect either.

Did you see the 4 garden pole solution? two points to lie the rifle up on?

edi

I have two stoneypoint tripods one is the explorer and the other is the expedition.

They are both very good, excellent build quality, quick to deploy and they give you a good solid platform to shoot from.

I would say that the expedition are slightly better than the explorer as they longer and a bit sturdier because they are only two section the explorer are three which means also you can make them smaller but, I never collapse them all the way anyway.

ATB

Moses

Edi ,

I have no problem getting down and dirty, but there is no f...ing way I'm screwing a bipod on the stutzen!! whenever the thing arrives.

Dave ;)

Ah, forgot,

well practice off hand then.

Or go to the IWA, you'll find something.

Feel free to take my tripod.

edi

• 4 weeks later...

I use an X3M1 tripod too, infact I'm on my second one now, the first one almost died after being run over by a bus! :lol: It's been to hospital and is still alive but walks with a limp. :P My mate James has that one now. ;) They're great, as solid a rest as you could wish for, but I like them because they're so light to carry. :)

I have the knobloch tripod sticks and when foxing i have found them great, BUT i was out Deer Stalking on friday, slowly making my through a small wood, we spotted a Roe doe some 60 yards in some brush, so made a step forward tried to get the sticks up, she turned and looked at me, and made off. Not the easiest thing to do one handed (keep it clean) ;)

So i have now been out this morning and bought the garden canes, my son is getting me some bicycle inner tubes, i will use two on the bottom so it dosen't click, and one on the top as a hinge.

Archived