Successful evening

Toby

Was out with a mate last night after some foxes.The weather was perfect,a light dusting of snow,-5c,clear,crisp and a full moon.We were sitting out in a barn with a hole in the side of the wall to shoot through.Bait was a road casualty roe deer,anchored in place by a rod of reinforcing iron.That normally stops them dragging the bait away.We got ourselves in place for 11pm.The first visitor on my watch(2hr shifts each)was a welsh springer spaniel,he had a rare old time ripping at the roe carcase until we heard the owner calling in the distance.I would imagine that the dog's stomach would be interesting the day after!The first fox arrived at 1205 and promptly received a Sierra 100grs HP from my Sako 6.5x55.One down.That was it for my first watch,at 0215 my mate took number 2 with his 223 50grs V-Max,this needed a second shot before it was lights out.Nothing for me between 0300 and 0500,but my mate completed the hatric with another fox at 0620,again with the 223 Rem.I sat for the last 1 1/2hrs but didn't see anything.At 8 ish we called it a day and collected our spoils.Two young dog foxes and a mature vixen.The young'uns went just under 6kg and the vixen was 7.5kg.We were well chuffed with the evening and equalled my mates best result so far! ATB from Norway-Toby

DSC03429.jpg

DSC03430.jpg

DSC03431.jpg

Tried to edit the last two pics to make them a bit clearer but photobucket and I dont seem to be on speaking terms at the moment.

sometimes we use the skins,but usually as we shoot with rifles, there is a nasty exit wound to contend with.Where we shoot here,my mate can choose between 10% off a roedeer permit per fox or £20 a fox.And yes I know that Nemasis 243 and others would be millionaires by now :rolleyes: regards Toby

Toby a long night but with a good result, you may find that because of the very cold weather the bait you are using isnt giving off enough stink to travel in the wind , you tend to find that baits work better when they are high.

I use them all year in difficult places to shoot where I need the fox to be in a certain position to get a shot, In the summer months they stink to high heaven due to the heat ,the more smell the better,

Lovely pelts on the foxes , £20 a fox that would pay for a few rounds overthere for you ,nice one buddy

cheers Andy

Hi Toby ,

Happy new year to you and the family mate!!! :rolleyes:

Looks like a great start to the year for yourselfs , those foxes are in great condition too!!!! :lol::D

All the best..................

RAY.......................... :) :)

A great night out, fair play you must be committed to spend the whole night in the barn.

The foxes look in prime winter condition. With a full moon I bet they stand out well on the snow.

Cheers

Dave

What would a good pelt be worth over with you Panther.?

When are you starting exporting Nem? :D

Well done Toby, three nice looking foxes there. Am I right in thinking you're not allowed to use lamps? Just moonlight? Must work pretty well on the snow.

I am about 20mins west of Oslo, near Sandvika,the barn was one of my mates permissions,it's actually luxurious compared to my set up.He has a boxed off room inside the barn with an electric heater,mine is a homemade hut(well insulated of course,but I sit with the barrel out the window)and no heater,lots of clothes and a winter sleeping bag.Was -18c last weekend,my wife thinks I am mad :D Also correct that artificial light is a big no no over here unless wall mounted.Fox pelts fetch from 10-20 quid over here which can be alot of work for not much return.Some areas have x crown reward for each fox taken.But it's mostly as a hobby in itself or as predator control that foxes are taken here.They also have a close season.It really makes you're heart beat faster when you see a fox gliding across the snow-regards Toby

Talking of furs and exit wounds. The 40 grain Hornady Vmax I'm using at the moment are staying inside Mr Fox the majority of the time. I could be incorrect, but I can only remember (off the top of my head) one exit wound on a fox this year, as my shot fell a little low.

£20 a fox! I could pay for most of my ammo with that price.Good yarn, I like the dedication of the all night vigil! A four hour stint is the most I have done!

Archived