Hand Squeaking

n8ess

We have all had a go at this from time to time but I have never been convinced by my own efforts, it just doesn't seem loud enough?? I would really like to get the hand squeaking off to a fine art?

Yours tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Neil

Practice breeds confidence.

First you need access to some unwise foxes. Nature reserves or grounds of large stately homes owned by the council etc are a good venue. Obviously no rifles with you :lol:

Took my new pup out with my son the other week and we were stealthily walking along just inside the wood line 1/2 hr before dark. We had no lamp on us as we were just out dog walking :lol:

Spots a fox about 300 yds out and said watch this, see if I can get him in.

Gave him 3 squeaks. He jumped the fence nearby and disappearred. lad said that was crap.

Wait says I.

3 more squeaks

20 seconds later he re-jumped the fence and came like a train towards us. Son said how close do you think he will come.

:P not sure says I

He gets to 50 yds and stops as something is not quite right and sat down.

10 seconds later he exits left at a steady walk.

As regards the volume dont forget the foxes, dogs etc hear at different pithes so the noise may not be what it seems.

Use your fieldcraft, wind etc and practice.

Its like anything your gonna have to practise,

If I was to descibe how I do it - I open my left hand fingers spread, just below the web inbetween your thunb and you finger there is a lump.

my top lip goes on top and my bottom lip underneath, then its all about sucking ,

dont try to hard to soon , perfect the action first, then as you suck harder you can gain more sound,

As you get a bit better you can quiver your hand and this will give a bit of worble in the sound ,I find during winter months this is very effective.

Now you can vary the volume and also the pitch you will find that as a fox starts to come closer your able to adjust the sound , the closer he comes the less you need,

You would see what I mean about that if you have 3or 4 foxes comming at different distances ,when you have one close and are just doing like a little mouse sqeak the others seem to hang off at distance , shoot the first one then raise the volume and do the same again.

It sounds easy but its all about practise.

I am not bad at calling and can be very loud if need be, but it is only another call, when I go out I also carry other bits and pieces, I have called a fox in the lamp for 10minutes using a call and he looks and thinks about it, change call and he's like a greyhound comming at you.

Hope its a little help,

Cheers guys, I will give it a go and as you say the key to it is perseverance, I currently use a wam, callmaster and my improvised lolly stick, which to be fair have been quite successful over the last year.

Practice,practice ,practice ;) as your confidence builds your results will improve.

I thought when I started my call was not loud enough, but just listen to the farm dogs you set off barking for quite a distance, that sound sure does travel. If they can hear it so can Charlie.

Good luck and keep on trying.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Neil,

What part of your hand are you using??

I alter the part of my hand i use, if i need a quiet sound i use my palm, but if i need volume i clench my fist and suck between my thumb and finger and open my fist slightly so it acts as a funnel, and adjusts the volume.

the biggest tip i ever heard was after to get your first fox and retrieved it , not to use the same hand to call again with that you used to drag the fox back with.

The taste and smell isnt to nice. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;):D :D ;):D :D :D:rolleyes:

As for the calling , every part of the hand can be used, just experiment,

s.k.

As the gus have previously said, get yourself infront of anything, the dog, a cat in the garden or if the chance arises a fox and try, dont thing if a fox isnt playin the game its a fault of yours, i hav had it on many occasions that a fox will not come in to my squeek, but will run in like a rocket when my lamping parter has a go and vise versa, it must also be said that even the best squeek will scare off a wise fox, especially if he'll fell to the trick before! You'll get there mate, the best time i find to squeek is once the cubs have started breaking off from there mothers, this time of year its a challenge for the best of us to squeek in a fox, as they are pairing up and are abit more cautious than usual!

Bit like eating a cream egg this one, everyone has their own way of doing it! As most have mentioned, practice makes perfect. I make a fist with my thumb over the top of index finger (imagine holding a fishing rod) this makes the skin in between bulge, put this between your lips and gently suck (insert schoolboy humour here!). If you've got it right, you'll get a squeak which you can alter the volume/pitch by sucking harder and pursing your lips - but it does take practice and I've probably made this sound harder than it is. As a right hander, I do this with my left so I can squeak and shoot. You might not get a very loud squeak but you don't always need to. ATB Gareth.

Archived