Bullet comparators

Toby

Hi,how many of you use bullet comparators and what do you use them for?I bought a Sinclair comparator with 224 and 264 inserts.For most of my loaded 222 rounds the comparator slides right up to the case mouth,meaning I suppose that the ogive of the bullet is seated in the case?The only bullets that have not had that problem so far is Sierra 63smp,which are pretty long and "bulky".In 264 I measured a few of the rounds that I had loaded to 77,5mm COL.This is measured with digital caliper from case bottom to bullet tip.When I measured with the comparator attached to the caliber(zeroed it after fitting)I found that my rounds measured 62,70mm to the ogive.Was quite surprised by this difference.Like Craiggyboy? mentioned the bullet would be almost out the case before being anywhere near the lands.The bullet measured was a Lapua scenar 108grs.I'm beginning to think that the comparators main job is to sort bullet lengths for uniformity?As it is the rifle shoots well,just wondering if half the kit one buys is really that essential or whether its the shooters version of handbags and shoes?-Toby

Archived