barrel length 6.5x55

I'm thinking of having the barrel chopped on my 6.5x55, at the moment it's Sako standard of 22 7/8".

I would like a nice short carry rifle for stalking so my question is this;

Can I have it shortened to 18" without sacrificing velocity and accuracy?

Any advice greatly appreciated

ATB

Moses

The 6.5x55 only produces modest velocity so remember that if you plan to use your rifle in Scotland that you need to have a min’ muzzle velocity of 2450fps. With a 140gn bullet and an 18” barrel you might be getting close to the legal min’. Do you know what velocity your loads are producing at the minute? if so then it is possible to have a good guess at the min’ length you could cut your barrel back and still remain deer legal. Accuracy should improve if anything with a shorter stiffer barrel.

Best rgds

B-b

The rule of thumb is 50-100fps for every inch lost depending upon calibre. I have a Rem Model7 mountain rifle in .243 with a light weight 17" barrel. Its a bit louder than my longer heavier barrelled .243 but just as accurate if I do my bit right.

there is no real rule of thumb.as there is way to many variables,i found this out wile looking in to shortening a customers 243. you can not just take 50 or a 100 off pair inch of barrel.

my advise would be to put all your data in to a program like quick load and when you get quick load predicting the same velocity as your rifle is doing,then you can use the chose what barrel length you require.You will find it is far from just take off xxx pair inch. (well the one i played with was any way)

ATB

Colin ;)

there is no real rule of thumb.as there is way to many variables,

Thats why they are called rules of thumbs. :P

Don't know about you but my thumbs differ in length by about 2-3mm ;)

There was a very informative post on one of the US shooting web sites that showed a list of calibres and bullet weights alongside barrel lengths and PC programme predicted MV's.

IIRC most as expected drops in MV's until they reached 19-18" at about 16-15 " things really started to drop of quick. One guy then went and did an actual chrono test and just hack sawing set amounts off the barrel of a soon to be scrapped rifle.Hardly scientific but it proved that the list was not that far off.

If I get time today when work allows, I'll see if I can find it. I just have to figure out where to start looking.

Thats why they are called rules of thumbs. :P

Don't know about you but my thumbs differ in length by about 2-3mm ;)

There was a very informative post on one of the US shooting web sites that showed a list of calibres and bullet weights alongside barrel lengths and PC programme predicted MV's.

IIRC most as expected drops in MV's until they reached 19-18" at about 16-15 " things really started to drop of quick. One guy then went and did an actual chrono test and just hack sawing set amounts off the barrel of a soon to be scrapped rifle.Hardly scientific but it proved that the list was not that far off.

If I get time today when work allows, I'll see if I can find it. I just have to figure out where to start looking.

my point about rule of thumb is, we don't like guesstimating when a customer asks for a deer legal rifle with a xxx length barrel. this would be dam recluses to say the least. rule of thumb does not apply in a court of law when accused of using an under powered rifle.or selling a rifle that does not do what it is supposed to do.(IE customer cronoed it)

so my rule of thumb is not to use rule of thumb. nor would i advise anyone to do so.

just get quick load and take your barrel length down by 1" at a time and see if the program says 50 FPS reduction every time you shorten the barrel length.

ATB

Colin :D

my point about rule of thumb is, we don't like guesstimating when a customer asks for a deer legal rifle with a xxx length barrel. this would be dam recluses to say the least. rule of thumb does not apply in a court of law when accused of using an under powered rifle.or selling a rifle that does not do what it is supposed to do.(IE customer cronoed it)

so my rule of thumb is not to use rule of thumb. nor would i advise anyone to do so.

just get quick load and take your barrel length down by 1" at a time and see if the program says 50 FPS reduction every time you shorten the barrel length.

Climb down off your high horse mate.

Take a look at Moses opening question. Its of a very general nature just as my answer was intended to be.

That's the whole point regarding rules of thumbs they are estimates only. A starting point by which to make initial decisions. Nothing more nothing less.

If you want to be pedantic and argue about specifics, look else where. I am sure there are forum memebers considerably more qualified than either you or I who would be happy to oblige.

BTW. I too not sure what you mean by "this would be dam recluses to say the least.". Recluses is people who hides away from the public, and I'm not sure you could build a dam with them either.

p.s. Can I just ask who are the we you refer to in you post?

Climb down off your high horse mate.

Take a look at Moses opening question. Its of a very general nature just as my answer was intended to be.

That's the whole point regarding rules of thumbs they are estimates only. A starting point by which to make initial decisions. Nothing more nothing less.

If you want to be pedantic and argue about specifics, look else where. I am sure there are forum memebers considerably more qualified than either you or I who would be happy to oblige.

BTW. I too not sure what you mean by "this would be dam recluses to say the least.". Recluses is people who hides away from the public, and I'm not sure you could build a dam with them either.

p.s. Can I just ask who are the we you refer to in you post?

First off let me say I'm not on any horse of any kind ;) so i will have difficulty climbing down. neither am i your mate,that is for sure. :D

advising someone to cut down there barrel by rule of thumb is something no one should be doing. unless you have found a way of putting it all back together when you have found it to be wrong.

or you are offering to pay for the supply and fitting of a new barrel ???

no i did not think so :P

and what does me saying "we" have to do with anything ?

and i was typing in a rush so excuse my mistake. specking of mistakes how are you harry?? had a good Christmas?

ATB

First off let me say I'm not on any horse of any kind :D so i will have difficulty climbing down. neither am i your mate,that is for sure. :D

advising someone to cut down there barrel by rule of thumb is something no one should be doing. unless you have found a way of putting it all back together when you have found it to be wrong.

or you are offering to pay for the supply and fitting of a new barrel ???

no i did not think so :P

and what does me saying "we" have to do with anything ?

and i was typing in a rush so excuse my mistake. specking of mistakes how are you harry?? had a good Christmas?

Perhaps the horse is so high you haven't realised it yet ;) Perhaps someone will help you with your difficulties. :P The term mate was used in its loosest manner possible. More as a point of reference that an actuality.

As I mentioned earlier my post was of a general advisory nature, not as a specific. Sometime you seem to have missed in your rush to post perhaps? Or are you just not getting it?

I would have been astounded if Moses had proceeded hack sawing off barrel inches on such general a post. Liability lies with those who offer professional advice or who claim to be experts or professionals. I stand well clear of any of that thankfully.

The use of we implies there are more than one of you. Unless of course you intended the use to be of the royal we., as in "we are not amused" Thats why I asked. A simple explanation will suffice.

My Christmas was fine thank you. I can't answer for Harry's. I take it you're not referring to Prince Harry. Your usage of royal reference notwithstanding. :D

Perhaps the horse is so high you haven't realised it yet ;) Perhaps someone will help you with your difficulties. :P

the only thing high is your opinion of your self :D

The term mate was used in its loosest manner possible. More as a point of reference that an actuality.

seems everything you post means nothing, :P

As I mentioned earlier my post was of a general advisory nature,

as i said you was advising him to chop is barrel off

not as a specific. Sometime you seem to have missed in your rush to post perhaps? Or are you just not getting it?

I would have been astounded if Moses had proceeded hack sawing off barrel inches on such general a post. Liability lies with those who offer professional advice or who claim to be experts or professionals. I stand well clear of any of that thankfully.

seems to me you advise people to do things then say you would be astounded if they took your advise.

this just doesn't make any sense at all,why go to the trouble of posting complete that which promotes growth and vigour on the net,if you are not expecting anyone to comment or take any notice.

strange

The use of we implies there are more than one of you. Unless of course you intended the use to be of the royal we., as in "we are not amused" Thats why I asked. A simple explanation will suffice.

the fact of the matter is whether there is 1 or 2 or even 3 of us has no bearing on the discussion at all.

i would urge you to give out proper advice instead advising some one to do something then saying not to do as you say. :D

My Christmas was fine thank you. I can't answer for Harry's. I take it you're not referring to Prince Harry. Your usage of royal reference notwithstanding. :D

harry you will have to do better than this :D

Now if you have any more info on shortening barrels that you don't want anyone to follow, then please keep it to your self. as it is useless info and we don't need it thanks.

But if you have something valid to say then please feel free to shear it with us.

ATB

Colin

Your obtuseness seems to know no bounds.

I see there is little point in further exchanges. Especially with someone of such a pedant nature as yourself.

I'm sure the rest of the members are as bored with it as I already am.

Apologise Moses for my part in this pointless hijacking of your thread. Perhaps the mods will delete the contentious posts that have served so little purpose.

Sutton aka Harry,Wilton,Ernie etc etc

You really should try better old son.Your posts are becoming repetative :lol:

Moses

My Tac 20 is producing velocities that programs say isn`t possible with my set up and is hellishly accurate with no signs of problems

Nick (20ppc) has also chopped his rifle down to well below 20" and he hasn`t suffered the great loss of performance that was predicted

Although ballistic programs give a good yardstick I wouldn`t take them as gospel

And no Chris nothing like rule of thumb you muppet :lol:

Archived