Rifle problem

Hi guys I am posting this for a mate of mine,

He shoots a Ruger Hawkeye and has had the rifle for about 12months, recentley he has found that when he shoots prone resting on this bipod and then folds the bipod up and shoots resting the legs on his X sticks there is a 3" hieght variation .

This problem has only just started , but we have know idea of why.

It seems that there must be pressure being put somewhere but any ideas where.

Any help would be greatfull ,cheers Andy

Hi guys I am posting this for a mate of mine,

He shoots a Ruger Hawkeye and has had the rifle for about 12months, recentley he has found that when he shoots prone resting on this bipod and then folds the bipod up and shoots resting the legs on his X sticks there is a 3" hieght variation .

This problem has only just started , but we have know idea of why.

It seems that there must be pressure being put somewhere but any ideas where.

Any help would be greatfull ,cheers Andy

Has a mod been fitted recently?

Is it a wood stock?

Which gives the highest poi, bipod or legs rested on sticks?

Is the rifle fitted with a slim forend?

Not trying to be funny, the answers to the above may help to solve the problem.

Pete.

Has a mod been fitted recently?

Is it a wood stock?

Which gives the highest poi, bipod or legs rested on sticks?

Is the rifle fitted with a slim forend?

Not trying to be funny, the answers to the above may help to solve the problem.

Pete.

Mod has been on the rifle since new,

Highest shot is when resting on sticks

Stock is synthectis and has a thin forend ,but has a bearing point right on the end , this has been clarified by ruger that the barrel should bear at this position.

Guest dasherman

Hi Andy,

Anything that has a pressure point on the barrel will change its poi with a change of position. Try taking the bipod off and shooting from sticks with the sticks resting on the same part of the stock as the bipod was fitted to. Personally I'd remove the pressure pad from the stock to remove that variable from the equation. Also consider how he is holding it while standing, is he puting a lot of downward pressure on the rifle to steady it whereas when prone with a bipod the rifle is held lightly, probably with a hand under the stock at the rear and no downward preasure. Try shooting it off the bipod off a truck roof, not leaning his body on anything so the bipod is acting the same as the sticks when standing. Of course there are a few basics to check first - scope mounts tight, stock screws tight, consistant ammo.

Neil.

Got it sorted today , the problem lay in the forward pressure point ,this has been removed and the rifle is now back to its best :lol: .

Thanks for all your help lads cheers Andy :lol:

Got it sorted today , the problem lay in the forward pressure point ,this has been removed and the rifle is now back to its best :lol: .

Thanks for all your help lads cheers Andy :D

I'd have put money on inconsistent position and hold.

It was a synthetic stock and the rifle shot fine under the same circumstances before? :lol:

....I would think that it's something in the shooter's mind that has been fixed rather the rifle :P and I'd suspect that during the post-fix testing he's concentrated on holding it consistently.

Be interested to hear if the problem returns! :D

Thanks for all your help lads cheers Andy :lol:

Nice one Andy, cheap, easy fixes are everyone's favourite. A friend of mine finally fitted a mod on his old 22-250 Sako and it shot really badly until we removed the forward pressure point and opened up the forend. I'd been called a few choice names up till the test groups were fired and it shot better than before the mod was fitted.

You'd still wonder why your mate's rifle suddenly developed the problem after it shot OK for fair while. My Steyr gradually sagged on the synth forend when shot off a bipod till the barrel was eventually not free floating at all with the mod attached. I managed a fix, by changing to a 20" barrelled AR15,

no problems with float now. :P

Pete.

I'd have put money on inconsistent position and hold.

It was a synthetic stock and the rifle shot fine under the same circumstances before? :lol:

....I would think that it's something in the shooter's mind that has been fixed rather the rifle :lol: and I'd suspect that during the post-fix testing he's concentrated on holding it consistently.

Be interested to hear if the problem returns! :P

I would have said the same Brown Dog ,but I shot the rifle the weekend and it also happened to me and I took great care when shooting it.

cheers Andy

I must say Pete I am not a lover of the hawkeye stock but its what he likes.

I have heard of the problems people have had with the Steyrs and I think now its been resolved on newer rifles

cheers Andy

Archived