Tactical Scopes

Have been looking at IOR range of scopes 2 in particular

the 6-24*50 in a 35mm tube and the 4-28*56 in a 40 mm tube with tactical turrets

Both have MP8 reticules in the second focal plane with a £320 difference in price of the 2

Objective lense size I can get my head round for light gathering

Im assuming the extra 5mm on the tube will increase strength ,weight of the scope, greater elevation !

Plus the additonal 4X mag on the second scope

Any of the techies tell me if im missing something

Cheers

Chester

Have been looking at IOR range of scopes 2 in particular

the 6-24*50 in a 35mm tube and the 4-28*56 in a 40 mm tube with tactical turrets

Both have MP8 reticules in the second focal plane with a £320 difference in price of the 2

Objective lense size I can get my head round for light gathering

Im assuming the extra 5mm on the tube will increase strength ,weight of the scope, greater elevation !

Plus the additonal 4X mag on the second scope

Any of the techies tell me if im missing something

Cheers

Chester

You should get some extra elevation, you will get a bit of extra weight but I doubt you will get much of a strength increase. You should use a scope torque wrench on the scope mount screws anyway to prevent overtightening and crushing the tube.

The eye can take in a maximum of 7 diopters? of light, divide the lens size by the mag and you get the light output. So a 4x28, 5x35,6x42, 7x50, 8x56 all have the same (7) light output given the same quality of glass. For shooting at night you wont go far wrong at 7 or 8X, good field of view for rapid target aquisition.

You have not said what you intend to use the scope for, I assume at least some night work, perhaps knowing that members could make recommendations.

Personally for sub 300 yard work my favorite scope is a Ziess 3x9x36, this has a 25mm tube and outperforms in low light my more modern 30mm tubed Swaro. I usually run it at 7x.

A

A

Your on the right track there Geoff. The eye can accept an exit pupil of 7mm, so those scopes are almost perfect. But the eye can only accept that figure, in a 100% fit, young eye, say a 20 year old [so we are buggered ]. The big tube on the larger scope is so it can accomodate the unusual mag range, as this is not standard.

Lens quality is always a better buy than size , but you wont go wrong with either IOR, they are top drawer.The 6-24 is sold out at the mo, as my mate had the last one. They have schott glass, which is the same as zeiss. Unfortunatly, i,ll bet the next batch are going to be somewhat more money, as the euro is what they are bought in i think.

I own most of the top end stuff, and would have an ior, just the same as a schmidt, zeiss and nxs...and do [4-14x50].The lenses are the equal of any german glass, and the mp8 ret is a beauty.

Archived