PCP-Springer-Pellet-Power

Guest Deker

Hi All

I could do with some help here...been having a debate on another site about power etc........Statements have been made saying a Heavier pellet produces more power in a PCP and a Lighter Pellet produces more power in a springer.

Now, this is being touted around as fact because "my mate tried it".. "heard it from someone"..."everyone knows it"..."works in my guns".."my dealer told me".......I am simply looking for a provable, demonstrable, scientific explanation, the above statements are totally unscientific and these apparent results could have been produced by a mass of anomalies!

IF this is correct there must be some sort of fundamental difference in the way springers and PCP's deliver their power in relation to pellet weight!

I don't understand this, it doesn't make any sense to me, and I am yet to be convinced.

Anyone got any answers....not..."my mate tried it".. "heard it from someone"..."everyone knows it"..."works in my guns".....

Cheers

Deker

It's all to do with the way the air is discharged, with a springer the piston is driven and the less resistance it meets ie a lighter pellet it travels slightly faster. With a PCP the air ie released via the port/regulator and is more instant and thus helps to propel a heavier pellet more consistently.

That's why there are more FAC rated air-rifle's out there because they use heavier pellets.

Been more than a few years since I was involved with air rifles but from memory generally the heavier the pellet the higher the energy level. I have never heard of different types of rifle producing much different results.

A

i wouldnt have thought the differance would be noticable to be honest,maybe a couple of fps between the two, i personally wouldnt worry about it. i fire air arms diabolo field through my .22 S300, and with all the ballistics i have learned from using the long range toys i can consistenly shoot bunnies in the head at 50 yards. nothin better tham watching the pellet travel down range through the scope!

After all the years of airgunning and moving into bigger and louder things i really dont think much tops the crack of a 17grain pellet hitting skulls :angry:

quite simple this one and here are some facts

1) the actual amount of used air in a pcp is higher than a springer

2) shoot a pcp without a mod at 12ftlbs and a springer without a mod at 12ftlbs and you will definately hear the difference

3) a springer uses a measured amount of air determind by the cylinder size

4) a pcp uses an amount of air by tapping a release valve that has an enormous amount of air behind it compared to a springer

5) because of the above the system rely's on the enormous pressure to re-seal the system and there is always a large amount of wasted air that gives the bigger bang and thats why pcp's need mods and springers dont, infact at 12ftlbs a mod is nearly useless on a springer

6) a pcp can use some of this "waisted" air by using heavier pellets that see more resistance in the bore due to increased bearing surface

7) so going back to your question yes a heavier pellet can use the waisted air but a springer wont have any where near the same volume of waist air

Archived