6mmBR

Grouse

Ok, so thanks to several "posters" on UKV, I am now checking out the 6mmBR as a fox and crow round.

In all seriousness is it really as good as it appears to be on paper targets to quarry in the field. I can see it being excellant at crows (if the accuracy level is correct), but how about on the fox's?

Does this calibre really knock them over with as much authority as the 243 does?

I am now swaying to this calibre, but it is a balanced "see-saw" at the moment!

Thanks in advance....

Well I have seen around 60+ foxes shot with 6MMBR this season and have only had one runner that went about 10ft into cover ,but that was shot at a very long distance and I know it p******d a few people off on here that I did it ,

Shots of up to 300yrds at night have been very common with Dave (6MMBR) doing the shooting with his RPA 6BR topped with a nightforce.

Myself I have both calibres (6mmbr and 243win) if you were to ask me what would I take to go shooting at night ,I would say the 243 , but this is a rifle I have many years and am on my second barrel on the thing, it feels like part of me when I shoot it and I do use it a lot.

If I had to take a gun to go and shoot a fox at 500yrds + in the day it would be the BR , accuray is second to none over that range and theres plenty of punch as well .

No worries about foxes with the 6BR. I have shot plenty out to 500+ yards with them, the accuracy is superb.

Myself and Andy use the 87gn Vmax which has a great b.c running them between 2900-3000fps.

As for crows my personal best this year was 910 yards.

A superb little cartridge once you learn its trajectory its good for 1000 yards.

You won't regret owning one.

Cheers

Dave

I'll second dave on that one, nightwalker you know my feeling on the 6BR :o .... Haha

It really is a cracking round, which i have now shot alot of foxes with, if you put an 87gr V-max through charlies ribs he certaily aint gonna tell if its a 243 or a 6BR! Its got all the stpping power required,

And with the accuray, its just a pleasure to shoot those crows which always think they're out of range... you know the smug ones that fly off just as you get the rifle ready and land 500yards away :D, well.... they aint so smug anymore!!!

Get one and enjoy it mate, we all know you will!!! :D

have you looked at the 20br it flys flatter out to 500yrds than the 6mmbr so if its only foxs and crows it may be a better choice as i think you dont really need 87gn bullet to kill a fox or even a crow ?

http://www.6mmbr.com/20caliber.html#20BR

have you looked at the 20br it flys flatter out to 500yrds than the 6mmbr so if its only foxs and crows it may be a better choice as i think you dont really need 87gn bullet to kill a fox or even a crow ?

http://www.6mmbr.com/20caliber.html#20BR

I am aware of what the 20's can do, but I am in a windy area - don't mean the christmas sprouts are kicking in already!!

In another post somebody made a comment about "do I live on a mountain" with referance to wind shooting! well I am pritty close to it!!

Thanks Bigun all the same.....

Sorry nightwalker that was me ;) didnt mean it in a bad way at all!

I live in a fairly windy area and the 87's seem to buck it quite well, the thing with a 6br is it can be loaded up to shoot any quarry species in the UK, it plants roe to the floor with authority. Even if you dont stalk deer, sods law is if you went for a 20 or even a 22 BR the chance of some stalking would arise!

Oh and the last thing im going to say whilst trying to sell you the idea of a 6BR, fit a mod on it and god dam its quiet. The last buck i shot in the summer was standing just behind a doe, he dropped on the spot and the doe didnt flich, just carried on eating away the freshly planted broadleaves i was contracted to protect! Wasn till she looked back she got a shock, then she still stood around, if it had ben another buck, i easily would have had to carry 2 back to the larder!

The only down side of it is, that if you cant be arsed loading some rounds for a trip shooting you cant just take a trip to and average gunshop and pick up a box of 20

There you go, im not going to say anymore, i am completly bias towards the 6BR as i use one and i know what it can do, in the end of it all mate its what you want!

nemasis hit the nail on the head, it comes down to what you know and have confidence in alot of the time,

i know of a guy round here who had a 6mmbr, he wouldn't have it again. he came straight back to .243 Ai.

each to there own and all that, deep down his preference was for fast light bullets most of the time, just easy point and squirt. with the 6mmbr he had a few runners, i think he only had the rifle 10 days and then sold it straight away.

if you read up on the br it seems to be the kiddy, just wasn't for the chap i know. although he does now have a 20 br and loves it, but still not as much as his 243!

Archived