Living off wild meat - any possible side effects?

Guest Tiff

Sounds a bit strange, but I'm mostly living off venison; supplemented with a bit of pigeon or pheasant. As a student it's good food to have all the time, compared to my flat mates 99p pizzas or curries:).

Obviously I'm not purely carnivorous :P and do eat veg and pasta etc with it. However are there any possible down sides to health eating such meat all the time (guess 1lb or so a day). I asked my GP and she simply said 'you eat better meat than me!'.

So what do you reckon?

Yeah ok a fair few jokes could be made over this one........but with 7 years at a boys grammar school I'd be surprised if I hadn't heard it before :P;)

In all seriousness though could I be causing future problems for myself?

you loose an appetite for beef and chicken?

Over exertion from gathering said meat?

Growing up my dad and I used to shoot a bunch of deer. We went through 5 from october to January (family of 4), and not little deer either (100-150 lb white tails). It was deer meat for every meal.

When I went to university I got away from eating game. Then when I moved away after university my wife doesn't eat game (though she just had partridge at a restaurant the other night and liked it) so I didn't get much of it until we came over here. She lives in london and I'm up north so I eat what I want from M-Th. I haven't turned back on to a venison steak like I used to but cooked into things I will eat deer. Any other furry critters are fair game for the table.

Thanks,

Rick

I am not a nutritionist but I have heard of problems with a limited to rabbit diet due to a lack of fat and nutrients. A venison diet would lack fat if it was strictly adhered to but if you are have other oddments like fish and chips now and again I would have thought you would be ok.

Yeah ok a fair few jokes could be made over this one........but with 7 years at a boys grammar school I'd be surprised if I hadn't heard it before :P:D

In all seriousness though could I be causing future problems for myself?

The UK's fox population seems to fare pretty well on the "wild meat" diet Tiff. Never heard of anybody suffering from a lean meat regime such as yours.

The Macdonalds supersize me alternative might be the way to go if you want a comparison .

Pete.

Guest varmartin

Got this off the net....

The calling card of high-protein diets is that your body burns fat for energy and that, in turn, will result in weight loss. Prolonged consumption of high protein sends the body into a state of ketosis. That’s top of the list of cons of high-protein diets. Ketosis occurs when the liver converts fats into fatty acids for use as energy and the by-product, ketones. Ketones increase the acidity of the blood and can be detected in the urine. In extreme cases of starvation or fasting, the body undergoes gluconeogenesis, which is the production of glucose from sources other than carbohydrates, primarily protein.

Possible kidney damage

High-protein diets place a lot of stress on the kidneys. The initial weight loss on high-protein diets is from water loss. When carb intake is restricted, the body uses muscle and liver glycogen for energy. For each gram of glycogen, two grams of water are used or “lost.” The minute you give into your carb craving, that weight will come back. The diuretic effect of eliminating carbohydrates from your diet stresses the kidneys while they remove urea, a by-product of protein synthesis, from the body. Compounding that problem, when the body is in a state of ketosis, increased levels of calcium are excreted -- that can lead to kidney stones; a build-up of calcium in the urine. Think about the experiment when you put a nail in a cup of Coke: After a few days the acid in the soda starts to dissolve the nail. The same breakdown happens to your bones. Calcium (along with other minerals) is leached from bones and teeth because of the increased acidity of the body. Literally pissing away calcium is a major con of high-protein diets because that will have a negative effect on your workouts. Calcium is a necessary mineral for muscle contraction and nerve impulse. Calcium loss can also lead to stress fractures.

Increased risk of cardiovascular disease

A balanced diet consists of approximately 60% carbs, 25% protein and 15% fats. However, 30% to 50% of calories come from protein on diets like Atkins. That shift also means an increase in fat consumption: up to 50% of calories come from fat, and increased calorie consumption. For every gram of carbohydrates there are four calories compared to nine calories per gram of fat. Meats, cheese and eggs -- animal and dairy products -- all contain saturated fats and cholesterol, even the leaner varieties. When you think about it, how healthy does eating sausage, egg and cheese for breakfast, a cheeseburger and milkshake for lunch and (let’s say you’re trying to be healthy) a salad for dinner with chicken, egg, bacon bits, nuts, and with Ranch, Caesar or blue cheese dressing sound? Over time, consumption of this sort of diet, along with limited fiber and fruit consumption will raise LDL cholesterol levels and increase the risk of heart disease.

Negative effect on social interactions

Complex and simple carbohydrates are broken down into glucose, which is used for energy. Not getting enough glucose is next on the list of the cons of high-protein diets. Glucose is the only fuel source for your brain (not to mention your boys below the belt). When your brain is lacking that vital nutrient, you become fuzzy and can't think straight. You also become irritable and cranky, and may experience dizziness, fatigue and headaches. What causes this change in mood is low serotonin levels and tryptophan. That moody and tired disposition definitely doesn’t make you a fun guy to be around. And while you’re telling off your buddies or yelling at your girlfriend, they’ll recoil from your breath. Bad breath is a “symptom” of high-protein diets. The body releases ketones through the lungs as well. Your breath will have a sickly, sweet or alcoholic odor.

Increased risk of constipation

The restriction of carbohydrates on high-protein diets also reduces the amount of fiber you get in your diet. Fruits and grains are considered off-limits. Limited fiber intake can cause constipation, not to mention the dehydration caused by ketosis and limited carbs. Insoluble fiber found in fruits, veggies and whole cereal grains can prevent constipation. Soluble fiber can decrease blood cholesterol. And when you pop those laxatives, you may still have a hard time on the john because diets high in meat can cause hemorrhoids.

high-protein = high-risk

Remember, any diet that encourages you to limit or totally eliminate a certain food or food group -- such as carbs on a high-protein diet -- should be carefully considered before following. The best diet for health, weight management or weight loss is a balanced diet that will not harm vital organs or systems in your body.

I can see no problem just eating game as long as your also eating a balanced diet. Wild meat must be healthier than a lot of meat available in supermarkets etc. Most of us are probably aware that we need to eat the right balance of food groups.

Hi varmartin cheers for that, I'm guessing it was taken from a body building website.......

From reading between the lines it looks like it should be ok, provided I continue to have fruit/veg and pasta or bread with it .

Its interesting about the necessary increased water consumption to avoid dehydration, I find I'm drinking about 6 pints of water or so a day, but no other differences after a few months of this diet at uni.

Currently I spend £6-£8 a week on food...Guess I'll keep it up and it certainly gives me more money for shooting!

Tiff

Me and the wife ate nothing but game meat for 18 months before we moved to Scotland, if the recipe said chicken it got pheasant, venison was used in place of lamb or beef. It is only since moving up here and I have been able to trade venison for beef or lamb with my farmer neighbour that we have started eating domesticated animals again.

I remember reading when I was big into weight training that some amino acids are found only in game meat.

You should get plenty of fat from the cooking oil and butter/spreads and cheese ect without too much trouble.

Best rgds

B-b

Archived