sika hind on the ridge

After a 2hr walk up into valley without seeing a tail my son and myself decided to change places and observe a wind sheltered sunny ridge with cover. I have seen sika sun themselves there before. Before we made it back to the jeep we saw a grey-back crow in a tree across the valley guess 220yds. I took the 22-250 my son had along and turned the greyback in a puff of feathers. Off to our next place I decided to take the 22-250 howa with a-tec because the valley has a few houses and a road close by. I've never taken a deer with the 22 before, but many foxes this year and she's very reliable.

After a while of glassing the hill I saw a hind feeding between bushes, damn scope fogged up constantly, the ground wet as hell. The deer was head on, but I thought the little 22 won't go in that deep anyway. She just went head over downhill after impact, not a twitch. She had a nice hole through the heart, lungs in tatters but didn't make it to the gut. lucky.

First pic was with the phone, shot was taken from around where piv was taken and the deer was almost at the top of the ridge to the left, around 180m.

At last I got some deer blood on my new stock.

Image022.jpg

DSCN2104.jpg

edi

Nice shooting, looks a nice bit of ground you have there.

Me and a couple of pals are after getting over to Ireland for some Sika stalking as we have yet to stalk them.

Do you know anyone who does guided outings you could recommend?

All the best

Moses

Nice shooting, looks a nice bit of ground you have there.

Me and a couple of pals are after getting over to Ireland for some Sika stalking as we have yet to stalk them.

Do you know anyone who does guided outings you could reccomend?

All the best

Moses

hi Andy

i can sort you out over ireland, give me a call Monday and we will have a chat about it.

ATB

Colin

Sweet ;)

Just the right size for the boy to carry too ;)

Seriously, lovely spot you have there and nice to see the 22-250 didnt let you down.

After a 2hr walk up into valley without seeing a tail my son and myself decided to change places and observe a wind sheltered sunny ridge with cover. I have seen sika sun themselves there before. Before we made it back to the jeep we saw a grey-back crow in a tree across the valley guess 220yds. I took the 22-250 my son had along and turned the greyback in a puff of feathers. Off to our next place I decided to take the 22-250 howa with a-tec because the valley has a few houses and a road close by. I've never taken a deer with the 22 before, but many foxes this year and she's very reliable.

After a while of glassing the hill I saw a hind feeding between bushes, damn scope fogged up constantly, the ground wet as hell. The deer was head on, but I thought the little 22 won't go in that deep anyway. She just went head over downhill after impact, not a twitch. She had a nice hole through the heart, lungs in tatters but didn't make it to the gut. lucky.

First pic was with the phone, shot was taken from around where piv was taken and the deer was almost at the top of the ridge to the left, around 180m.

At last I got some deer blood on my new stock.

Image022.jpg

DSCN2104.jpg

edi

hi Edi

that brings back some very good memory's,from when i was over in Ireland sika stalking.all so nice to see the next generation of stalkers out and about,

i have not been sika stalking for a few years now.and its a real sham as it is one of my favorit species.

i was over at county wicklow,and have never seen as many beasts in one place.it was lifting with them.

ATB

Colin ;)

Moses, I wouldn't even know anybody who does guided stalks in Kerry. Not that common I think.

Deer are not as plentyfull as in Wicklow maybe that is the reason. I'll ask around.

Ronin,

that hind was a fairly heavy lump to carry, but it keeps em cleaner than dragging with all the water gushing down that hill.

I did carry it for a while too...

The penetration of the 22-250 is not that great, but it dumps all the energy. If you hit the right place it works well.

I could see the reaction through the scope for a change, mostly loose the pic for a moment with the 308.

Col,

I shot a few fallow this year, but much prefer hunting sika in a tougher terrain.

Never shot in Wicklow before though.

Thanks for all the replies.

edi

Hi edi ,

Well done on a very nice beast!!!! :lol: :lol:

Also good to see your son sharing the moment with you , always good to share your hobbies with your sons or daughters when they are growing up!!!! :lol:

All the best.................

RAY.......................................... :lol: :lol:

Hi edi ,

Well done on a very nice beast!!!! :lol: :lol:

Also good to see your son sharing the moment with you , always good to share your hobbies with your sons or daughters when they are growing up!!!! :lol:

All the best.................

RAY.......................................... :lol: :lol:

Thanks Ray,

both my lads are going out a bit more, now that they can take their own shotgun or a rifle.

Great help getting the catch back to the car. With this help we can venture higher up into the hills.

My older son is very handy with the stock making in the meantime.

Had my young daughter along in a peat bog last week, she wasn't amused after falling flat into a mud puddle.

Maybe also because I didn't stop laughing.

As you say very good to do something together.

edi

nice going edi, youre making me jealous, sitting in the house spending too much time on the internet while you guys are out hunting!!

Archived