New Barrel

nell

Recently got my rifle back from border, had my rem 22/250 rebarreld in 6mmbr, i was told to check out the shooting in a new barrel prcedure.

Have replaced the 22/250 with a new tikka t3 lite ss.

Question is should the tikka be shot in in the same manner as the border barrel?????

Thanks

NELL

The new tikka should have already been shot in at the factory, i think its only brand new spanking barrels which hav never seen a bullet, my percetion of (and anyone tell me if im wrong) shooting in a barrel is to fill the pores or the metal with copper and smooth of all the sharp edges and tool marks left on the freshly cut metal in the bore that why its fire... clean ... fire .... clean etc????

However a factory rifle such as a T3 should have all the procedure done ready to shoot!

The new tikka should have already been shot in at the factory, i think its only brand new spanking barrels which hav never seen a bullet, my percetion of (and anyone tell me if im wrong) shooting in a barrel is to fill the pores or the metal with copper and smooth of all the sharp edges and tool marks left on the freshly cut metal in the bore that why its fire... clean ... fire .... clean etc????

However a factory rifle such as a T3 should have all the procedure done ready to shoot!

Thanks for that...

Looking forward to getting the 6mmbr up and running, i see you are a fan of the calibre.....

Nell

I shot my new Kreiger in...1 and clean for 5....never saw copper after 8-10 rounds...thats it job done.

So no 24hr borefoam soak between 1st 5 shots???

think the guarantee is invalid if the border procedure is not carried out to the word...

NELL

I sense that anyone venturing opinions on this subject should check out their life insurance first as this is one of those subjects on which there are many hotly held views.

However, life is for living on the edge, so here goes.

The best explanation I've ever read on this explains that the reamer will leave small burrs at the front of the chamber. The first shots down the barrel will quickly remove these burrs but in the process copper will be removed from the jackets and deposited down the barrel. Because of the heat and pressure the jacket material is vaporised (a plasma) so the metal deposits can occur down towards the muzzle, not just at the chamber end.

If the reamer is sharp there may be almost no burrs at all in which case there will be no copper fouling and no problemo. Likewise some hammer-forged barrels have the chamber formed as part of the forging process and so will not need 'shooting-in'. I've had several Border barrels, none has shown any detectable copper fouling and I've cut this 'shoot-clean' process right down to a few shots. I'm not sure how Tikka make their barrels these days but I'm guessing the bores won't be as smooth as a Border so you might want to try the shoot-clean thing for a few shots - if there's no copper fouling I wouldn't go further personally.

Cornishman

Guest varmartin
So no 24hr borefoam soak between 1st 5 shots???

think the guarantee is invalid if the border procedure is not carried out to the word...

NELL

so it would be `your word` to there `word`..........getting copper out does not take 24 hrs...even if you used `cilit bang`

None of the factory rifles are "shot in" most just do a test/proof fire and thats it. Sako used to claim 3 shots fired to prove the rifle, dont see much on that on their site now. But to "run in " the barrel on every rifle would push the cost up a lot and slow production a lot, its down to you to do as you want with yours.

Sako/Tikka make their barreels by hammer forging over mandrels and so the rifling is very smooth, Border use the cut rifling methods on their best barrels so they will not be as smooth, but it is usually said that cut rifled barrels when started off as they recommend will give excellent results.

Then there is button rifling which again is a different method of forming the rifling and most barrel makers have their own advice as to what to do with the barrel from new.

I have my own procedure which works for me, I would certainly follow Borders advice with yours.

Redfox

Having run dozens of borders in now, i can say, that they require very little indeed. 5 rounds, cleaning between each, usually brings them on song. I had one that took about 15 to group, then it was fine. Border,s whether button or cut, are lead lapped by hand, so most of the work is already done.

Running a barrel in take an hour of your life...why not do it. There is no excuse then, if the gun does not shoot.

No factory gun is ready shot in, with possibly the exception of cooper etc. Tikka,s certainly aren,t.

You will get two opinions on this subject, some do, some dont. I,ve never owned a barrel that would not shoot, after being run in however. They may well have shot equally as good, without being run in.....i,m never willing to take the risk.

That is the same procedure as north airshire shooting supply with every knew rifle.

Shoot one a day and soak in between for 5 rounds/days then shoot 2 and clean for a further 10 rounds (in the same day) then clean after 25 rounds. So a total of 15 rounds to break in then a good clean after the next 25 rounds.

Worked for the last rifle we done like that.

Ads :lol:

Nothing lost as Baldie says.

I usually take the new one when I go foxing/bunny shooting, fire a round and put in the slip then get on with the business in hand.

I clean when I get home and leave to soak for a few hours then patch and dry, do the same on the next four occasions than get on a target and 5 rounds, clean when I get home and do twice more. The last new Tikka and Sako I did this way were actually on song after the second 5 and neither fouls up now hardly at all even after a good number of rounds.

As Dave says it doesnt hurt and does give you a bit of confidence, plus you have to zero it anyway.

Redfox

what do i know :D but i read alot and iv read some where that it takes a week to shoot a barrel in propper .one shot then soak for a day then clean and so on ..if i paid over £600 for a barrel i will do just that ..as i have nothing to lose but every thing to gain ;)

Archived