Meopta scope

Hi all. I'm looking to put a different scope on my fox and stalking rifle which currently has a Leupold vx3 6.5-20x50LR as I find the reticle a bit too fine when light starts to fade. I was thinking of replacing it with a Meopta 2000 3-12x50, could anyone give their opinion on these scopes, good or bad. I've always used Leupolds of some description and was also considering a vx3 4.5-14x50LR but with the standard duplex reticle. Thanks a lot, atb, Gareth.

Luepold and low light are not best buddies. Forget them for the job.

There's a nice used 6x32 Ziess that will do everything you want here;

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/shoptics.htm

The only thing it lacks is target turrets. The plex ret is perfect for night work and stalking, the optical quality is probably better than most things on the market today. (I have a similar 3x9x36) In my book it is far better value than a new scope in a similar price range.

A

There is no comparison between a 6x32 however good and a 3-12 x 50 scope difference between a moped and a rangerover :lol:

I have an old 4x 30 Zeiss dating from before the war,windage is adjusted on the rear mount and elevation on a top turret, it is surprisingly good bearing in mind the glass and lack of coatings, but not enough to rip off my 8x 56 s&b . :blush:

The Meopta are nice scopes and reasonabl priced.

Alycidon, I do agree the Leupys and low light dont really mix, you need to be on European scopes for night and low light work

Redfox

I have a meopta 7x50 and it is a good scope. You can't get target turrets for them is that neccessary for you? If yes you would have to go for the 4-16x44.

Mine has the 4b reticle and it gives multiple aim points. Good clear glass its been on a few rifles and does the job. No wandering zero or anything like that.

There is no comparison between a 6x32 however good and a 3-12 x 50 scope difference between a moped and a rangerover :wub:

Moped and RR my a**e !!.

He wants a scope for stalking and night shooting, so max range 300 yards probably. I will back the optics of that 6x32 scope against any mid quality 3x12x50 that probably weighs another 10 or 12 ozs. In fairness Meopta may be a bit better than mid quality ( I did read a while ago that there were building Conquest for Ziess) but that little Ziess will equal its low light performance and be lighter to carry to boot. Reticule (Plex) wont vanish either. IMHO large lenses are simply not needed for the majority of sub 300 yard work unless you plan to use them as a club :lol:

A

Guest Baldrick

I have an Artemis 3-12x50 and two 7x50s. I cannot fault them. Outstanding performance for the money, and reassuringly solid with it. Meopta does build the Zeiss Conquest range. I've just sold my VX-III (same model), and for low-light work the Meopta wipes the floor.

I would put it this way - if Meopta makes a scopes in the power range you want etc, then it will be an excellent scope and very good value for money.

Meopta are traditionaly in one sense - hunting based optics - boar and deer stand hunting here (CZ) is popular - they make very good optics for low light use.

Meopta employs 2k people, we are talking a lot of optics (not just Meopta name) - it gives confidence that things, such as coatings are up to date - as of yesterday.

FWIW I put a well useed 4-16x44 Meopta Tactic on my 338 Lapua for a few months to test, it held up no problem - I like this scope and they have now made it with a lit reticule.

david.

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. Interesting to hear that Leupolds struggle with low light, as I said I've only ever used them so have nothing to compare them with. I really like my VX3 but the reticles just too fine. I think the Meopta will do for now as ideally I'd like something with a bit more mag and tactical turrets but this can wait till I get the rifle rebarreled and restocked in a couple of years. Thanks again.

Archived