COMMING FROM EVERYWHERE

nemasis243

Off out again for a change :P with my shooting buddy Simon, we are trying to hit some of the sheep farms up in the hill pretty hard as lambing is in a couple of months :D .

Over the last couple of years the sheep farmers have found a big difference :o in the amount of lamps that are lambing and surviving through the first couple of months due to the extensive fox control we try and do.

Tonight we visited two farms where we have a few baits down, sure enough there was charlies on all 3 baits , we walked round and dispatched them one by one ,

18112008310.jpg

18112008311.jpg

18112008312.jpg

In the centre of one of the farms is a large pile of rapped silage bales , so very carefully Simon and my self climbed up on the top, we had a great view and in the next field here was another charlie , I pulled the lamp off him and Simon got ready for the shot , I turned the lamp on well off the fox and another set of eyes appeared down to my right, Simon caught a glimps and I said" the other one first", I swung back onto the fox and BANG ,the fox flopped where it stood , I moved the lamp round and the other fox was moving away , I gave a loud bark and the fox stopped and Simon put that one to rest as well :(

18112008313.jpg

18112008314.jpg

WE moved away from these two farms and decided to have a look at a bait we put down yesterday, we usually give the baits a few days before we look at them as it gives an indication on how many foxes are about on how quick the baits are eaten.

WE pulled up at the gate and the bait was 120yrds in the field at the bottom of a small bank,

Simon flicked the lamp on and there was one on the bait ,he scanned round and here was another two within 300yrds of us.

I turned round and got steady on the X sticks and shot a huge Dog fox through the head at a distance of just over 250yrds, I turned back to the bait and then dispatched the second one at 120yrds also a head shot, the third charlie was by now making his way down a tarmac lane ,

I gave him a sqweek and he stopped and looked at me , that was the last thing he ever did ,

WE had 8 in the bag and one huge Dog the one I shot off the sticks .

We saw another 6 but we couldnt shots as they were all in the wrong places and to get the shots would have ment crawling through very wet ground, but they are there for next time . :D

18112008316.jpg

18112008317.jpg

18112008318.jpg

That is one heavy charlie there lads ,I didnt have a scales but he wasnt far off 30llbs :P

Cheers ANDY

I use different things different times of the year, depending on the type of farm ,there is always something dead on most of them so this is put into a certain place until they are taken for burning :D some times there isnt much left to burn :P (sheep carcass are fantastic this time of year)

In the summer the best is rotten fish which I get from the local dock where trawlers unload their catch.

This is then placed into small stink type tubes , I then hang them from trees or places where they are elevated above the hieght of the fox , this allows the smell to carry and keeps charlie hanging arouns the area.

I agree you can'y beat a sheep carcass :P sometimes this is impractical so dog buscuits mixed with cheap fishy cat food works a treat.

Or a chicken keebab which is a metal bar you push the carcasses on so charlie has to work at it a bit.

Cheers

Dave

Well well well Captin ,

You have been a busy boy again!!!!!! ;)

Some nice shooting there Andy and a enjoyable writeup too!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D;)

All the best...............

RAY............................ :D;)

18112008318.jpg

That is one heavy charlie there lads ,I didnt have a scales but he wasnt far off 30llbs ;)

Cheers ANDY

Should you be lifting heavy things, with your back ????? ;);)

Great shot off the sticks, my rifles are all in storage, ready for the move on Friday, so my only enjoyment at the present is coming here to read everyone's exploits.

ATB Steve

Archived