Barnardos

PeteL

Has anyone seen this load of shite?.

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/

It portrays decent law-abiding shooters in a most appalling light and I urge you all to write to Barnardos and the Advertising Standards Authority to get it taken off all media.

Barnardos will certainly not get my money ever again.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some hidden agenda, too

Peter

Totally agree, what a disgrace :angry: .

I sent an email this morning.

I'm sorry to have to bring this to your attention but your promotional clip on your web site portraying the hunting of children is an absolute disgrace.

My self and 1000's of other law abiding shooters who by the nature of the difficulty of obtaining gun licenses are some of the most responsible people in soceity.

What you portray is totally irresponsible behavior and as ever the legal shooters in the UK get tarred with the brush that you paint a picture of.

Through my work as a Dr, I have had associations with raising monies for yourself. I feel so strongly about this I will cease raising any further funds for Barnardos and urge all my other collegues to do the same. We will divert our attention to help charities which do not resort to cheap tricks.

I'm fed up like many others of being portrayed in the media in this manner!

Yours

Dr David Lloyd.

See what reply I get.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Folks,

first of all, thanks for bringing this to the attention of the forum.

here's my response to them:

Dear sir or madam,

I am appalled by the clip on your website showing 'hunting' of children. As a professional who is involved in the treatment of children in pain but also a recreational shooter, I have to say that being portrayed in this manner allienated me completely from your charity and I will now actively campaign to all my colleagues and friends to cease any association with it and indeed any funding activity they may be involved in that may have benefited Barnardos.

Your portrayal of the use of firearms is irresponsible, sensationalist and does not represent in any way, shape or form the current reality of ownership and use of firearms in Britain.

The majority of legal firearm owners in the UK have to undergo such stringent police checks and pass a range of inspections before they are given a licence to posess a firearm. As such they are probably the most law-abiding and responsible citizens in Britain.

To be portrayed in the manner your video clip suggests is disgraceful and shameful to say the least.

It is my intention to bring this to the attention of the advertising standards agency as well.

Looking forward to your response.

signed

It is also on the BBC web site - i emailed them a complaint yesterday and had a reply which was this-

Thank you for your email refering to the Barnardo's advert features on

the BBC News website.

The video forms part of a wider piece about the Barnardo's advertising

campaign. It's produced by the charity and has been included in the

story for the purposes of illustration.

According to the charity, it's designed to make the point that some

people think children and young people are "vermin" who need to hunted

down. I can't speak for the charity, so I don't know exactly why they

chose to use people with guns as opposed to other weapons.

Again, because I don't speak for the charity, I can't say whether their

intention was to portray gun-owners in a bad light (although I'd be

surprised if that was what it meant to do). From our perspective, we had

no intention of making gun-owners look like "villains" as you say. As

previously stated, the video is posted on the news website to illustrate

the story of the Barnardo's campaign, and for no other reason.

Thank you again for you email,

Mark Barlex

So basiclly they are saying its nothing to do with them, but are still not going to take the advert off their web site.

The problem I see with the video,is it appears to be aimed squarely at legal gun owners, who as others have said will be the least likely group of people to commit crimes. It is ridiculous & the person who thought this up should have applied their mental safety catch long before they suggested something so outrageous,& had this clip produced.

It appears to me a lot of charities are trying to use shock tactics to raise funds, & this amongst other rubbish out there is entirely unnecessary.

I mean come on,if I donate money to Barnardos, will this protect kids from grown men having a drive by shooting? No,because it just doesn't happen.

complaint to ASA sent, this ad certainly wont do us legal gun owners any favors.

two days gone, and no response to mine either... I think my hair will start growing again before we are graced with their words of wisdom!

Finman

two days gone, and no response to mine either... I think my hair will start growing again before we are graced with their words of wisdom!

Finman

;);):D

The sad thing is I think your right.

Its a sad state when they have not got the common courtesy to reply to an email.

I bet if you offered to make a donation they would reply by return ;)

Dave.

For the benefit of all I have just sent them an email asking how best to set up a donation??????????

Lets see if their system is working and how long the reply takes ;)

Well I actually received a reply

Dear Dr Lloyd

Thank you for your feedback on our film. We are sorry you are offended by its content.

The concept of shooting is a metaphor for how the public thinks about children and is not intended to single out those who take part in shooting sports as those wanting to shoot children. The analogy is born out of a direct quote taken from a newspaper website written by a member of the public.

Our intention is not to offend people, but to highlight society’s intolerance of children and young people. We believe the most shocking part of the film is the comments made by the public.

We have also made a public comment to the British Association of Shooting and Conservation (BASC) http://www.basc.org.uk/content/basc_wins_apology

We hope that your dislike of the film does not detract from the issue being raised, and that you can continue to support Barnardo’s.

Thank you again for your comment.

Yours sincerely

Collette Collins

Head of Brand and New Media

Make of it what you will :blink:

Cheers

Dave

I spoke too soon a minute ago I got the same reply too.

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for your feedback on our film. We are sorry you are offended by its content.

The concept of shooting is a metaphor for how the public thinks about children and is not intended to single out those who take part in shooting sports as those wanting to shoot children. The analogy is born out of a direct quote taken from a newspaper website written by a member of the public.

Our intention is not to offend people, but to highlight society’s intolerance of children and young people. We believe the most shocking part of the film is the comments made by the public.

We have also made a public comment to the British Association of Shooting and Conservation (BASC) http://www.basc.org.uk/content/basc_wins_apology

We hope that your dislike of the film does not detract from the issue being raised, and that you can continue to support Barnardo’s.

Yours sincerely

Collette Collins

Redfox

same response here Redfox....

Dear Dr. Finman

Yours sincerely

Collette Collins

I am writing this a few hours later.

I read the message again and the ones at the BASC website, and I felt my blood boil. Hence, I sent a personal email to Collette Collins; here it is

Mrs Collins,

your words fall on deaf ears since the offending video continues to appear in your website, without even a word of apology to the law-abiding legal firearm owners of Great Britain. I have no children, but nor do I hold views such as those you chose to single out. Your campaign is one-sided and is based on comments of a minority which, it seems, you picked to sensationalise the issue. The ensuing video is rather unfortunate, not to mention shameful, given that countryside sports and their followers have been met with similar criticism to those you mention for children.

I am sorry but I cannot accept your response as sincere, since it is not followed by any action. Yet, I am sincere when I say that I will continue to discourage all folk of the countryside where I live to support any of your causes or funding campaigns,

sincereley yours,

signed

Archived