VP 90 sachet in the ammo safe

JohnGalway

Not sure exactly which section this fits into so here goes...

Hi folks,

Just had a bit of a clearing up and reorganisation of my shooting gear last night. Recently got three new VP 90 sachets, used VP 90 before and am happy enough with it, I put two in with the rifles/shotgun and the other in the top ammo locker. I'm starting to wonder now was this a good or a bad idea, will it coat the bullets in anything that shouldn't really be on there to cause excess pressure? Probably worrying over nothing but I thought I'd ask to be on the safe side.

ATB,

John

VP 90 wont mess your bullets up, the vapour it gives off just helps to prevent rust. However it doesnt remove moisture from the air so rust can still be an issue.

The best really is a couple of 1lb ( .5Kg ) bags of silica gel crystals in the cab and wipe the guns over with the VP90. About every 3-4 months take the bags out and give then half an hour in the oven at 65-70 deg C which dries them out and just put them back in again, you can do this very many times so they really are cost effective.

Raising the temp in the cab to 65 deg also works ( small tube heater costs about £14.00 ) only draw back is the electricity ( they are 60watt) and the wood stocks will dry out and may crack!

The silica gel only removes moisture from the air so is very unlikely to do that but it does prevent rust.

You can also buy from any engineers stores VP paper ( not VP90 ) it is Vapour phase inhibitor paper and you can scatter it about in the cab , not actually touching bare metal and it works but you still need the silica as well.

Redfox

How does the silica effect the stocks, one is wood one laminate and one synthetic which will be fine. I vaguely remember reading that taking too much moisture out could make stocks warp and crack also?

And incase anyone is wondering why a sachet in the ammo safe, there's other stuff besides ammo in there lol.

Archived