My trip to Canada

njc110381

What a great time I've had over the last couple of weeks. I've been staying with My friend in Canada, being driven around the place checking out the countryside and culture. What can I say, I miss the place already. Where else can you spot a moose hanging out of a pickup truck driving through town? People would die of shock if that happened here! For some reason they're much more clued up to the realities of life there, I admire (or even envy) their way of thinking! I took my .375H&H with me for Bear protection (what a wimp!), luckily it didn't get used for that purpose in the end.

First off we went out for a hunting trip in Hinton. There are miles of logging roads all over the place and you just drive around looking for something to shoot at. All you need to do is buy a tag, and then be clear of the vehicle to take a shot. Unfortunately no shots were taken at anything serious, the numbers are down due to the last winter being unusually hard on the wildlife. The sight seeing was very enjoyable though, and I found it hard to believe how big Canada really is. We spotted a moose there, and I shot a Squirrel ;)

I'm pretty sure this picture was taken in Hinton. I'm more sure that Neil will correct me if I'm wrong!

DSC020011.jpg

After the day in Hinton, we headed out to Jasper. No shooting there as it's a national park, but it was one of the most memorable days of the trip. I didn't find the town that appealing, but the surrounding countryside was stunning!

DSC020181.jpg

DSC020171.jpg

How tempting was this one.....

DSC020061.jpg

We spent the night in Jasper and the next morning headed out to Grande Cache for more hunting. One of Neils friends kindly let us stay in his apartment so we could spend a few days there. In the end we only needed to stay one night, as I hit a good sized Whitetail Buck and we had to get it back to Neils!

DSC020361.jpg

The meat damage wasn't huge, although the exit had taken out a few ribs. I took the shot at about 125 yards and he managed to do a good 25 before dropping. He was pretty pumped up as he'd spotted me before the shot was taken. The 270grn softpoint ended his day cleanly and I found my new rifle very easy to handle and shoot. I was very pleased with the result. The only drawback is that I'd walked about 400 yards from the car, and then the Deer ran deeper into the forest when I spooked him. Two poor chaps were about to realise how heavy this thing actually was!

We returned to Neils that afternoon and left the Buck in the boot over night. The temperature was perfect that night so we figured it would be fine until the morning. Next day we went about skinning and butchering it, which was quite a task. It was my first time cutting up a Deer and I have to say that for an amateur, I didn't do too badly. Neil helped and pointed me in the right direction when I looked stuck, and we ended up with some very nice (although oddly shaped) cuts.

The next day Becky made us a roast from the backstraps. It was one of the best meals I've ever had, and I need to pester her to find out how she cooked it. All I know is it had garlic in it, but it tasted great!

We spent another couple of days out hunting and spotted more Moose. We also got stalked by a Bear in Grande Cache which was pretty scary. The last thing I wanted was a fight with a Grizzly, so we went back to the apartment for the night!

The second week we went out and met up with another guy I know, Martin. He brought some fun guns for me to use (and ammo, lots of it!).

Martins .45acp

DSC020451.jpg

Neils Glock 17

DSC020461.jpg

Martins .357

DSC020441.jpg

Martins .44 magnum

DSC020471.jpg

And Martins effing great cannon, a Desert Eagle .50 (didn't like it much)!

DSC020481.jpg

We also went clay shooting with Martin and got beat badly. Something tells me he has too much time on his hands to shoot as good as he does!

All in all a great couple of weeks. I have to say a big thankyou to Neil and his family for making me welcome in their home and for driving me around for hours on end so I could get to see all the best places. I should also thank Martin for his hospitality and bullets, as he wouldn't let me give him anything for them!

Hopefully I'll be going back again soon, and Neils planning a trip here at some point too. I'm going to have to work pretty hard to make his visit here as fun as the one I've just had!

My other half is a veggie, so I think trying to mount the head in the living room may be a little too much for her to deal with! I left it in Canada, my buddy is going to use the antlers to rattle in another buck.

Guest sniper#1
What a great time I've had over the last couple of weeks. I've been staying with My friend in Canada, being driven around the place checking out the countryside and culture. What can I say, I miss the place already. Where else can you spot a moose hanging out of a pickup truck driving through town? People would die of shock if that happened here! For some reason they're much more clued up to the realities of life there, I admire (or even envy) their way of thinking! I took my .375H&H with me for Bear protection (what a wimp!), luckily it didn't get used for that purpose in the end.

First off we went out for a hunting trip in Hinton. There are miles of logging roads all over the place and you just drive around looking for something to shoot at. All you need to do is buy a tag, and then be clear of the vehicle to take a shot. Unfortunately no shots were taken at anything serious, the numbers are down due to the last winter being unusually hard on the wildlife. The sight seeing was very enjoyable though, and I found it hard to believe how big Canada really is. We spotted a moose there, and I shot a Squirrel :D

I'm pretty sure this picture was taken in Hinton. I'm more sure that Neil will correct me if I'm wrong!

DSC020011.jpg

After the day in Hinton, we headed out to Jasper. No shooting there as it's a national park, but it was one of the most memorable days of the trip. I didn't find the town that appealing, but the surrounding countryside was stunning!

DSC020181.jpg

DSC020171.jpg

How tempting was this one.....

DSC020061.jpg

We spent the night in Jasper and the next morning headed out to Grande Cache for more hunting. One of Neils friends kindly let us stay in his apartment so we could spend a few days there. In the end we only needed to stay one night, as I hit a good sized Whitetail Buck and we had to get it back to Neils!

DSC020361.jpg

The meat damage wasn't huge, although the exit had taken out a few ribs. I took the shot at about 125 yards and he managed to do a good 25 before dropping. He was pretty pumped up as he'd spotted me before the shot was taken. The 270grn softpoint ended his day cleanly and I found my new rifle very easy to handle and shoot. I was very pleased with the result. The only drawback is that I'd walked about 400 yards from the car, and then the Deer ran deeper into the forest when I spooked him. Two poor chaps were about to realise how heavy this thing actually was!

We returned to Neils that afternoon and left the Buck in the boot over night. The temperature was perfect that night so we figured it would be fine until the morning. Next day we went about skinning and butchering it, which was quite a task. It was my first time cutting up a Deer and I have to say that for an amateur, I didn't do too badly. Neil helped and pointed me in the right direction when I looked stuck, and we ended up with some very nice (although oddly shaped) cuts.

The next day Becky made us a roast from the backstraps. It was one of the best meals I've ever had, and I need to pester her to find out how she cooked it. All I know is it had garlic in it, but it tasted great!

We spent another couple of days out hunting and spotted more Moose. We also got stalked by a Bear in Grande Cache which was pretty scary. The last thing I wanted was a fight with a Grizzly, so we went back to the apartment for the night!

The second week we went out and met up with another guy I know, Martin. He brought some fun guns for me to use (and ammo, lots of it!).

Martins .45acp

DSC020451.jpg

Neils Glock 17

DSC020461.jpg

Martins .357

DSC020441.jpg

Martins .44 magnum

DSC020471.jpg

And Martins effing great cannon, a Desert Eagle .50 (didn't like it much)!

DSC020481.jpg

We also went clay shooting with Martin and got beat badly. Something tells me he has too much time on his hands to shoot as good as he does!

All in all a great couple of weeks. I have to say a big thankyou to Neil and his family for making me welcome in their home and for driving me around for hours on end so I could get to see all the best places. I should also thank Martin for his hospitality and bullets, as he wouldn't let me give him anything for them!

Hopefully I'll be going back again soon, and Neils planning a trip here at some point too. I'm going to have to work pretty hard to make his visit here as fun as the one I've just had!

nice buck well done mate. how did you get your photos from photo bucket on to the site. cheers pete

I also love it over the water, went on a snow boarding trip over there a couple of years ago. The people are great. Wish I could have had a stalk.

Sniper#1 if you right click on your picture on photobucket and get the properties of the picture then paste where you want it with img no spaces it doesn't let me do it without for some reaso, it should work. It allows me to copy any pics off other sites.

Dave

COOL STUF looks like a great time was had canada sure looks like a great place to visit never mind shoot ,shame you couldnt get the head for the wall,how easy was it to get your rifle over there

Guest sniper#1
I also love it over the water, went on a snow boarding trip over there a couple of years ago. The people are great. Wish I could have had a stalk.

Sniper#1 if you right click on your picture on photobucket and get the properties of the picture then paste where you want it with img no spaces it doesn't let me do it without for some reaso, it should work. It allows me to copy any pics off other sites.

Dave

thanks mate i'll give it a try

Guest sniper#1

Dave

thanks mate i'll give it a try

Archived