Cheap .243 heads.

kbfife

Has anybody tried the bulk purchase of Winchester and Remington 80 grean soft point heads availible from

Midway Uk. These heads are about the lowest priced I can find, and I was wondering how do they compare to

a more expensive equivelent. Would they be suitable for fox and roe?? Load data could be an issue, could they

be made to shoot flat to allow shots to 300 on foxes?

Best regards

Keith

Has anybody tried the bulk purchase of Winchester and Remington 80 grean soft point heads availible from

Midway Uk. These heads are about the lowest priced I can find, and I was wondering how do they compare to

a more expensive equivelent. Would they be suitable for fox and roe?? Load data could be an issue, could they

Best regards

Keith

I've only got experience with .224 and .277 diam bulk Rem projectiles but have been impressed with their accuracy/effectiveness for -basic hunting purposes-.

The 55gr SPs have been totally effective on stuff up to average goats (read: med size fallow). Just threw together some bulk loads for the kids' SPS: X-died once-fired Fed cases/27 Win748/Fed primers/seated to cannelure, and they shot under an inch without any tweaking!

Have shot a few red deer, and plenty of large billy goats over 300yds with .270 ones and they performed fine.

Don't expect BR accuracy but if the basic calibre you're using isn't being stretched for its purpose, chances are you'll find them quite adequate.

Chris-NZ

Best regards

Keith

80grn bullets will not shoot flat to 300yds in .243, nor will any other weight in .243. 80grns will drop around 9-10" in a standard hunting rifle at 300yds.

58grn bullets will shoot with the least amount of holdover and the largest amount of barrel wear. I run Sierra Spitzer 85grn Varminter SP, £14.80 per hundred, using 43.5grns Viht 160, 3080fps, killed all species of deer resident in the UK and makes large holes in fox. This is about as cheap as I can make general hunting rounds. This combination after much experimentation with other bullets is shooting 1/2moa in a standard Tikka M595.

I've never found Midway UK to be that cheap and sometimes a pain in the arse regarding delivery times after taking your money.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived