Cogswell & Harrison Shotgun

Does anyone know the thread pitch/size of the tang screw on one of these old guns?

Thought maybe someone on this board would know, as I'd imagine C&H shotguns should be more common in the UK.

This is an older side by side, 12 ga, bottom lock gun with proofs for 2 3/4 shells. The original screw appears to have backed out under the trigger guard plate and recoil then bent the top (threaded) part of the screw. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

This is a buddy's gun, so I don't have access to the screw right now to check myself... :blink:

Not even sure it isn't some proprietary thread pitch (as it looks like very shallow threads with a course pitch).

In that era gunmakers made their own screws with their own version of threads ( it was about then that Whitworth came out with his std thread forms etc) So it will need one making. Are you familiar with Doug Turnbull your side of the pond?

Here, but be warned he has and does stuff to make you dream and spend all your money :D . http://turnbullrestoration.com/

Redfox

PS I just watched the 475 turnbull video, as well as the good shot on the buffalo very neat to catch the case in the hat brim ( although Im sure its accidental, looks good though) it certainly goes down to the shot.

Redfox,

Thanks for the link!

I was kind of wondering about that being the case (custom/unique threads and sizes). :( It definitely doesn't look like a standard V threaded screw.

I'll point my buddy towards Doug as an option (I think he has already contacted C&H in London about a replacement) if the UK route becomes too difficult or costly. These are the times I wish my little bench lathe could turn threads, as it'd be a simple job to make one for him...I just don't the machinery in my garage...yet. :D

Archived