variable CBTO / COL

biged85

Hi Guys quick question.

Loading for 6.5 creedmoor,

Now previously when I load 123gr scenars to a COL of 2.810 this gives me a CBTO measurement to 2.270

Well I have opened a new box from a new batch and now my loaded rounds have a COL of 2.820 in order to get my CBTO of 2.270

My questions is, is this normal?

Do bullets vary from batch to batch like this?

Finally should I accept the longer COL and stick with my target CBTO ?

Cheers

Ed

Yes its normal, bullets can easily vary this much in OAL from batch to batch and Ive seen much more.

CBTO is what matters so keep it at 2.270" - COL has no bearing on accuracy, it just ensures your rounds fit in the magazine if your using one.

Bear in mind if you have changed your bullet batch you might need to tweak your seating depth a little, its not uncommon to see an accurate load go off a bit when changing to a different batch of the same bullets even if your CBTO is the same, it always pays to re-test if your looking for the best accuracy you can get and try to stock up on the same batch if possible.

12 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Yes its normal, bullets can easily vary this much in OAL from batch to batch and Ive seen much more.

CBTO is what matters so keep it at 2.270" - COL has no bearing on accuracy, it just ensures your rounds fit in the magazine if your using one.

Bear in mind if you have changed your bullet batch you might need to tweak your seating depth a little, its not uncommon to see an accurate load go off a bit when changing to a different batch of the same bullets, it always pays to retest if your looking for the best accuracy you can get.

Cheers Big Al just the info I was after :)

Archived