6PPC hunting rounds

auquhollie

Is there anyone out there that shoots with the 6 PPC ??.

I am looking for some info on what hunting tips they like the best and what results do you get with them.

Ive got plenty of load data for accurate loads but i am after a load for Roe.

What do you guys shoot in your PPC ??.

ATB

Ads

Depends on your twist rate, mine is a 1 in 14 so I am limited to 70 grains, a 1 in 12 is much better as there is a suitable Sierra bullet of about 85 grains.

I use a 68 grain match bullet (Barts or JLK), kills well, minimal meat damage, very accurate. I need to load it hot to get it over 1700 ft lbs, I use 29.5gr of N133 with a Fed 205 match primer in Lapua brass. Sako brass has less capacity. The round performs best when loaded hot but the usual load warnings of course apply. Velocity is 3385 fps from a 24 inch barrell. Only problem is by the strict letter of the law the match bullet is not classified as expanding so technically is illegal for deer. I have not shot many deer but every one I have fired at has dropped on the spot.

For foxes etc I use a 65gr V MAX with the same primer and powder load, I have tried 70 grain NBTs, rifle did not like them much (MOA ish) and 55gr NBTs were Ok but not as destructive as VMAX. For foxes in difficult areas such as rape stubble I use the match bullets.

A

Is there anyone out there that shoots with the 6 PPC ??.

I am looking for some info on what hunting tips they like the best and what results do you get with them.

Ive got plenty of load data for accurate loads but i am after a load for Roe.

What do you guys shoot in your PPC ??.

ATB

Ads

Αds,

get in touch with Zaitsev (from this forum) and he will help you. He uses (I think!) a 68gn bullet and it is deer legal. He shoots all known species of deer with this and I don't think he's lost any yet...

Best wishes,

Finman

The 68 grainers that I know off are all flat base hollow point match bullets, these are not classed as expanding but do in fact work very well given good placement. Varminter does use this Sierra 80 odd grain bullet on Roe & Fallow, I am sure he will comment when he sees the thread.

I have found expansion can be variable with all the bullets we are talking about, I have had a fox hit in the front chest with hardly a mark on exit using a VMAX and a neck shot one with a match bullet with a exit hole of maybe 50mm. Just depends what the bullet strikes. I have not used the Sierra as my twist rate would not stabalise it.

Either way IMHO 6PPC is a lovelly round for Charley and the smaller deer providing range is kept reasonably short.

A

First of all Ads ,

Welcome to the PPC club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:lol:

I was fortunate that a stalker of a estate took me under his wing , only thing was the estate wanted deer neck and head shot!!

So after showing how accurate the PPC was , he was happy for me to use it!!!!

Deer to be shot was Fallow and Roe .

The load was H335 powder and the 80 Grain Nosler........

Heres the results with 80 Noslers..............

stalking2005004.jpg

DSCF3089.jpg

With me new tube i have been using H335 powder and 85 grain Nosler SB BTs .

Excellent expansion and at 29 grains , its producing 1736FTLBS , as always work up!!!!

Heres the Noslers.............

DSCF1418.jpg

DSCF1589.jpg

DSCF1534.jpg

The Fallow buck was shot at 156yds and the bullet entered just behind the shoulder / took the heart and lungs out and still exited , shot another 3 fallow on holiday in Sussex with same bullet with equally good results!!! :D

Dont discount the Hornady 70 grain SP , which i used for my first deer ( a Roe ) either!!!

With careful handloading you should have no problems with a accurate and deer legal load!!!!

Any more questions please feel free to PM me or the other experinced PPC users on here!!

Oh yes other bullets to try are the Hornady 87 grain HPBT and the Hornady 87 grain SP!!!!!

All the best...................

RAY.................................... :D :D

Ads,

25.5gr of V133 behind a sierra 85gr HPBT @ 2930 fps.

27.2gr of V133 behind a nosler 70gr BT @ 3170 fps.

28gr of V133 behind a VMAX 58gr @ 3485 fps.

All with a fed 205 primer.

Have you got a PPC now or is it for a mate?

J

Cheers Jinkzy,

Yeah finally got myself a sako 75 in PPC. Have to say every man should have one in his cabinet :lol:

Ads

Archived