7 UP AT THE TURKEY FARM

nemasis243

It is always a pleasure to have someone from the site to come and have a shot and last night I invited Gethin(YOUNG1982) over with his HMR to have a crack at a few bunnies when we were out fox shooting.

Anyway Gethin has been waiting for new rings for his rifle so there is no scope on it ,so he offered just to come and lamp for me :D

We met on the yard and took the brand new mule out as I was asked by the farmer to give it a spin to see what I thought of it compared to the old one's.

So off we set ,me on the back with a lamp to spot and Gething had a lamp of his own , I could guide him with my lamp and shine where I needed as the Turkeys in the sheds are a bit spooky and I didnt want to cause any problems there.

As we entered the first field behind the yard ,there was a charlie running away towards a couple os sheds, he must have been close to us as we drove in and started heading away, I gave him a little bark and he stopped for a spit second and that was enoufgh time to put a round in him,

"we will get that later" I said and we moved on, within 50yrds another set of eyes in the field across the track ,he was up in another block of sheds so we moved position and drove into the field, as we entered the field there was Charlie mooching around by one of the sheds , so I lined up and sqeezed off a round at about 200yrds,

"right behind the shoulder " I said to gethin and as we picked it up thats where the exit wound was,so I was happy the musket was shooting straight.

We moved to the field next door and there was another one about 160yrds away, he just looked at the light and did nothing until a 58grn Vmax went down his nose ,they sure do the job :lol:

We moved around the farm and I explained to Gethin that the field we were going next has had a fox in it every time I have been in there and it always makes a bee line for the hedge, He is one which is left from the days of the guys with the long dogs and I have never had the chance to take a shot at him ,Dave (6MMBR) seen it the last time he was down and it just kept running away and it didnt stop at all.

This one had to go as 8 new sheds full of turkeys had been put on that patch and when you think that whats in these sheds is worth over a Million£

he could do some damage if he got in.

We picked him up and sure thing he headed from right to left about 140yrds running which slowed after about 50yrds to a trot , I followed the fox in the scope and kept the rifle moving ,just come infront of him and sqeezed off a round, That red illuminated dot is sure great for this kind of thing,the round went in just on the shoulder and he did a small summersolt as the bullet made contact.

We drove round again to another area and seen a few more but the shots never presented it self, so I just wanted to try the field that I shot the last on in again as there was an old calf carcus there ,

As we drove in and put the lamp on there was three set of eyes glowing in front of me, the closest was about 40yrds sitting behing sheep netting, I took abead on its head and sqeezed off the round hit the cross of the mesh and disintagrated and the fox ran across the field ,so I reloaded and tracked it as it slowed up about 170yrds away I sqeezed off and hit it right behind the shoulder.

Gethin swung the lamp back onto the other two, one had legged it but there was one about 180yrds away moving at the bottom of the field , I followed it and sqeezed , Click ,I had had a miss fire , "broccoli " I said as I jacked the round out and reloaded , I had another one earlier in the week, I had used some regular federal primers instead of the match as they had been in short supply and I am not sure if that was the problem as the strike was real good on both primers.

Anyway the charlie had gone through a gate way by this time and we lost him, but I had a feeling he would do a big circle on us, we drove round a huge field filled with sheds and sure enough here was charlie walking down the field in some long grass, so stopped him in his tracks about 160yrs away, we drove in and couldnt find him as we were looking in the wrong area so we drove back to the gate and got a better line and drove straight to him.

So it was time to call it a nit and we started to make our way back and as I had a quick scan heres another charlie in the field below us , so we swung the mule round and I lined up on him and let the Vmax do its job, all I can say is Charlie didnt like it :lol:

We drove back to the yard and took a couple of pics but there all a bit dark ,if anyone can lighten them up I would be greatfull.

We must have seen at least another 5 so there are more problems to sort out, Dave -6MMBR and Ray -Varminter are down down in a couple of weeks so I will take them up and take them for a spin, this place is like a magnet for charlies , the thing i have noticed is they dont react to the call there maybe because there is so much food around for them.

Been having a little trouble with downloading using photobucket lads , so not sure if I can get picture up ,if not will email to 6MMBR and he will post it for me,

Cheers Andy

18102008267.jpg

18102008269.jpg

Well done to both of you, great shooting Andy, good news about catching up with the old wily one. Got plenty of Fed. 210 M's if I can help, good luck resolving the misfires.

Still not had a chance to try out the 58g V maxes, all loaded just need a quite moment, but will let you know how they perform when I do :lol::lol:

Cheers Steve

PS.. For some reason cant see the pic's

Nice going Andy, sorry about the missfires. I had a batch off CCI's which did the same, I just junked them as you just can't take the risk, it will always happen when you have a fox or a prize stag in your sights. I have some Remy large rifle primers and some CCI BR2's if you want to try them.

Your batch of primers may have got damp or something hanging around in the shop before you bought them.

Sadly I can't see the pictures either so email then across to me and I'll pop them up for you.

Cheers

Dave

Andy,

So, that's where they all are, down with you. No wonder I've not seen a whisker for the last 2 weeks, they're all on an Autumn break down West in your neck of the woods!.

Seriously, some fine shooting there, mate. :D I'll bet your farmer is happy with you eliminating 7 in one night. :lol:

I didn't realise that Turkeys are so valuable, 1M quids worth, phew!. No wonder the farmer gets worried.

BTW, did you notice if any of the dogs were larger than usual?. They should be very large as they are getting Xmas dinners every day :lol:

Peter

Well I hope this works as this is one travelled picture.

Andy couldn't post it and failed to be able to email it for me to post.

So it came via a text to my phone but I can't link it to my computer so I sent it via blue tooth to my IPAQ and then on to my computer and hopefully to here :rolleyes::rolleyes::blink:

18102008266.jpg

Cheers

Dave

I don't think I'll ever get over the amount of foxes that are drawn to this farm it's unbelievable, but I'm glad their are because when you get a phone call from Andy asking if you

want to go there you know your going to have a good night :P

Andy hope my driving wasn't to bad mate, it was my first time driving at night with no lights over fields that have random tractor ruts running through them :)

All the best

Gethin (young1982)

Archived