in formation on scenar bullets

1967spud

Hi all,

Another "noobish question of the week".

I have been reading a lot lately about "scenar" bullets on the forum. Could some one please tell me what they are like on "charlie"?, where i can get them? and if they are better/worse than nosler for performance/stability in the 80g region in 6mm ?.

thanks mark

Spud, i ran out of V-Max and HP so i thought the same, shot charlie and bambi with a 90 gr scenars, BIG NO NO!

Thankfully the shot placement on the roe was as perfect as i will ever get, bullet peirced the chest and straight through, 6mm hole entry, 6mm hole exit THROUGH THE SHOULDER thankfully there was a 6mm hole right through his heart and after a 40 yard run he fell in a heap, The deers reaction was strange aswell, no bounce just looked as though id missed him and with no comforting plop sound... i was unsure too!

whilst gralloching i opened up the chest and it looked as though somone had pushed a peice of fencing wire right through him. I meat to take a photo and show you fellas but the heart was in the aga before i had the chance!

As for charlie, exact same 2 large cubs at 70 yards in the chest i regret to say it both needed back up shots, error of jugdement on my part

I have been told by good friends and seen it for myself that Sierra match kings although a match bullet will expand violently, so i though scenars would do the same.

On the accuracy front ive never used such a uniform bullet, accuracy is phenominal, my sister would be able to shoot a .3 group with them, but they are just not designed to be terminally efficient at the buiness end of the equasion!

Regards

Shrek

thats what i thought , but i had so much about them i wasnt sure if i was missing out on some thing.

Nwxt question on this subject .

What about the berger range of bullets?.

have have used the scenars in 70gr in .223 for foxes. while some shots were great and realy blew the foxes apart i had several that im confident i hit but must have gone straight through! they are unpredictable in use for hunting and therefore i wont be using them again!

From Sierra's website:-

Can I use a MatchKing bullet for deer hunting? They shoot just great in my rifle, so they should be just super for hunting use, right?

No, it's not recommended. The MatchKing bullets are designed for pinpoint accuracy; with no consideration given to what might happen after impact. If the bullet has arrived on target accurately, its job is done at that point. Hunting bullets must perform in a certain manner after impact. Penetrating ability, expansion characteristics, and even profile must be considered when designing a hunting bullet. Use MatchKings for matches, and game bullets for hunting.

Are all hollow point bullets designed for rapid expansion?

Absolutely not. Our hollow-points vary in their jacket thickness, antimony content, distance the lead is away from the mouth, degree that the mouth is open and so forth depending on the use and range for which the bullet is designed. Hollow-point configurations can be found in match bullets that may show no mushrooming through to tough controlled expansion big game bullets to the varmint bullets.

It is unfair on the animal and illegal to go poking holes in it with match bullets, most Varmint bullets properly loaded and the load developed are capable of greater accuracy than the shooter.

Redfox

I have used Berger mef in the 17rem and they do expand like they say but I use hornady Vmax and Hol;lowpoints and get same accuracy and they cost less than the Bergers, so I didn't buy any more as I wasnt getting any real advantage. I find little to choose between Nosler and Vmax, they each do better in some calibre/rifle, like 222 noslers do better than the Vmax but in the 22-250 the Vmax definitely hit the sweet spot and in the 243 the 95gr Noslers are the dogs. So its try it and see really , but for varminting you dont need Bergers, the others will do all you want and cheaper. :rolleyes:

Redfox

i have shot nosler for years redfox i was just interested to see if match bullets would cut it in anger with a toby

Archived