Nailed 5 in the field with a monster of a dog fox

nemasis243

I had plans tonight to go up to a farm I havent been for a long time, loaded the car and was on my way and the phone rang, I pulled over and it was a mate of mine who is the mamager of a chicken farm.

"Can you get down here ASAP, theres two in the field and I can see them i the headlights" :lol:

That was all the excuse I needed I did a U turn and headed down to the farm.

I have taken a few good friends to this place and they have always had good shooting which was very pleasing for me and they also enjoyed themselves,

The week before last Dave 6MMBR come down and shot 4 but there was still plenty more about there.

We got the mule set up and off we set down to a field that has huge chicken sheds right in the middle , I got to a good vantage point and we flicked the lamp on,

Sure enough there was two Charlies mooching about feeding on a couple of dead chicken poults that had been missed when they put the chickens in the sheds at night,

These two didnt give a dam about us and were moving closer all the time,at about 120yrds I took the first one then reloaded and shot the second who was looking at his mate very close to him. :P

"Nice shooting And " was the coment from my mate which always makes you feel a bit better inside,

" I will have a call from here" I said and set about sqealing for a couple on minutes , here comes Charlie off to our right, there was no wind so didnt make any difference where it come from!

as it approached the other two foxes lying there, it seemed to jump when I got within a stones throw of the other two.

As it looked at the foxes on the floor ,I sqeezed a round off, what a thump you get from those 58gn Vmax in my 243, it awsum.

I carried on calling and two sets of eyes comming in on the same lines as the others .

"What the hell is that" my mate said

It was huge, I thought that cant be a fox surely not, it was just comming into the call about 50 yrds behind the other one, when it got to 160yrds I gave a load bark and both foxes froze in their tracks , "Back one first," I said and he adjusted the lamp, Bang and that was that all over

straight onto the other one a picked him off as well , it was a small dog the second one , but when we got to the first one I coulnt believe it.

This was a big one , I have shot large foxes in my life and the biggest was 46llb in wieght :D .

That thing was a freak if it haddnt been for the fact that I shot it in the head I would have had it stuffed.

Anyway we took the foxes back to the yard and got a spring wieghing scales 32llb :P .

Have a look at the difference in size laying next to a normal dog fox in the photo.

04102008250.jpg

04102008245.jpg

And heres one of me holding it next to the gun to give you an idea as well.

04102008249.jpg

So it was five in the bag in about 20mins,and in for a cuppa with a couple of the Bulgerian girls who work there, ah the things you have to do in life ;)

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy ,

Well done mate 5 foxes in one night is going great buddy!!!! :lol:;)

Thats one big fox too mate!!!! , i bet your mate feels better now the chickens will be safe for while!!!!

Thanks for sharing....................

All the best Captin :P :P ......................

RAY......................................... :D :D

I have, in the last month or so, shot five foxes from the same spot, four vixens and a dog. They were, I think, all from the same family. The second vixen was a normal size and weight and had had pups, so I assume it was the mother of the cubs. The fourth fox was the dog and, like 243's dogfox appreciably bigger than usual(nothing as big as his of course). I have neither measurements or photographs but he must have been around 20 lbs. I shoot this farm regularly and don't recollect getting one this heavy in the past. I wonder if this is a trend or are dogs much bigger that vixens at this time of year?. I think, in future, I'll take that old fishing spring balance and weigh my foxes. Might be interesting.

Peter

This farm that I have been shooting always gives good results as the free range chickens act like a magnet for vermin , its seems when I take foxes off new ones appear, there are one or two spooky ones which are left over from the guy who used to run long dogs on them, these are hard ones to catch up with, but I do have some success with different methods.I looked in my records and its an average of between 4-5 every time I lamp this place and I lamp it every other week if not more and this dosent include foxes that are shot in the daylight,

The large Dog I shot wasnt one which I have seen around there , but he had been living very well for a long time.

I do a lot of reserch into where they are likely to be moving in and out of farms and a few weeks ago I spied a total of 6-8 foxes across the Valley, on someone elses ground which I now have permission on.

I spotted a big fox that day but because they were about 1000yrds+ away I couldnt say this was the same one, but I suspect it could have been.

It was handy they had the scales there , they use them to weigh the live Turkeys to segregate them into different rearing groups , apparently they gain more weight if they are with birds their own size and you dont problems with bullying from the bigger birds.

Hi Andy

Awesome shooting buddy, every time I read your posts it makes me green with envy, ;) I just can't get hold of any 58g V-maxes to try in my 6/284, and I'm desparate to try them.

The Sportsman at Evershot wont let me back order, just have to keep ringing every other week.........................One day !!!!!!!!!!

Steve

You said after our chat something was going to die tonight ;) pretty good going in such a short time.

I expect it made you feel better after your boss let you down over annual leave.

Nice going speak soon.

Dave

Sounds like you had a fantastic night out Andy, Bet the landowner is a lot happier now!

As for the cuppa with the Bulgarian lasses...we all have our crosses to bear...just seems that your's is lighter than most ;)

keep at 'em

Alec

Bloody hell Andy thats some good shooting,i think i have an explination for the big boy i beleive he was origionaly from my neck of the woods and went to your area for an holiday form my work place sellafield,well done mate

Bloody hell Andy thats some good shooting,i think i have an explination for the big boy i beleive he was origionaly from my neck of the woods and went to your area for an holiday form my work place sellafield,well done mate

Foxshot,

They say you don't need a lamp for foxes in the Sellafield area, their eyes glow in the dark by themselves.

Great place, Cumbria. Spent a year up there working for NIREX, stayed at Nether Wasdale in that pub on the right, the Strands Hotel. Had several good nights out with the local hunt lads in Gosforth. Climbed Great Gable and Scafell on days off. I really like Cumbria, pity it's so far away from Swansea.

Peter

Archived