My New Rifle.

Hi all,

Finally got all the bits and pieces to put a usable general purpose rifle together.

DSCF0028.jpg

Winchester Model 70 shadow in .243 WSSM.

Nighteater 6-24x56 scope.

Warne Maxima 30mm Rings.

EGW 1-Piece Base.

Hunter Cheek piece.

Harris Bi-pod.

Looking to add a PES Mod in the near future.

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

I am yet to test the little darling out, hoping to get out Thursday or Friday. Got to shoot her in and away to go, cant wait to see what destruction my home-loads are going to create.

DSCF0030.jpg

Winchester brass, 75gr V-max, 43gr of BL-C(2) powder, CCI BR primers all assembled together at 2.335" OAL. Hoping to get around 3500fps out of her.

I will keep you all posted on accuracy, load development and barrel wear, and most important - long range conquests ( if any).

All the best,

Jay.

Hi B-b,

I will be interested to hear how you get on with your 100 grainers, i too will be looking at them for deer.

I picked the .243 wssm because of its versatility, will make a good all purpose gun. From rabbit to fox and deer, they are all on my list.

I read this article http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/243_WSSM.asp and it states that with certain weight bullets its ballistic's are superior to the .308 and closer to the .300 and the .338, almost beats the lot on wind drift.

An interesting calibre, will let you no how i get on, this is very new to me. I don't know much about it, that's the beauty with a new gun - play and learn as you go along.

I can't wait to try her out.

All the best,

Jay.

From what I have read from the US web sites the 243 WSSM is not that hard on barrels as first armchair experts predicted. It is using a same amount of powder as a 243AI so it’s throat erosion should be similar. I guess if you run them on 58gn bullets pushed at 4000fps plus and shoot the barrel hot in situations that US prairie dog shooters might it would not do it any good. Both the Winchesters and Brownings have Chrome lined barrels to help things so in theory you could find barrel life similar to a standard 243. The 223 WSSM is a bit different. Time will tell I guess.

The WSSM has had a bit of a new lease of life in the US since some manufactures are now making AR 15 upper assemblies to run this cartridge on The black rifle. One chambering is 6.5 WSSM. This allows you to use an AR15 with a ballistic superior cartridge than is used in the AR10 (308) the only downside is less rounds in the mag’.

I quite like the look of the 6.5 WSSM, same performance as a 260AI or a 6.5x47 pumped up in a shorter more compact rifle.

I have read that Federal brass is better than Winchester brass, but it is so thick and heavy brass I don’t know how much difference it will make.

There is a web site call “The WSSM Zone” it is worth a look.

Best rgds

B-b

Jay,,

Now that it is all together it is looking good my mate!!!! :)

Can,t wait to get out as soon as we can to try it out!!!!

This could be another outbreak of the black death in Wales :D:D

Down the fields as soon as the weather clears up a tad????

Them dumpy bullets look like the dogs broccoli :o:)

C u Soon !!! F2n :D

Archived