Powders

Tikka

Hi All,

Can anyone explain (in laymans terms) the theory behind using fast burning or slow burning powders?

I'm just looking into loads for my new .260Rem and trying to understand what the pro's and con's are

of using a slower powder against a faster powder.

Guest northernchris

In Yorkshire man terms Andy fast powder you will get more loads to a tub of powder and slow powder you will get less!!!!!!!!!!

Just dont go useing Bulleye to try and save a shilling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Generally Slower powder like N160 in the .260 will give you near 100% case fill which will (most of the time) give you lower shot to shot velocity spread.But you may find that depending on barrel length you may not get a complete "burn",finding unburnt powder in the tube.With that in mind i would look at N140 (since you proberbly have it) to use with the 120gr Noslers and give it a try.If not i have a good N160 load that should get the results you are looking for.

In Yorkshire man terms Andy fast powder you will get more loads to a tub of powder and slow powder you will get less!!!!!!!!!!

Just dont go useing Bulleye to try and save a shilling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Generally Slower powder like N160 in the .260 will give you near 100% case fill which will (most of the time) give you lower shot to shot velocity spread.But you may find that depending on barrel length you may not get a complete "burn",finding unburnt powder in the tube.With that in mind i would look at N140 (since you proberbly have it) to use with the 120gr Noslers and give it a try.If not i have a good N160 load that should get the results you are looking for.

Are the numbers in the name somehow related to how fast they burn?

Guest northernchris

As far as Vit powders go YES N160 is SLOWER than N140 etc,also the same with Reloader series powders RL7 is FASTER than RL15.

The other main stream manufactures just use names and numbers some relating to the intended use for the powder eg .50 BMG for use in its name sake.

Northern chris,

I like your assessment of the burn rates being a yorkshire man the thought had never occurred to me .................honest :unsure:

Powder burn rates,

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

There is also a site showing side by side burn rates

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/pdfs/Burning-Rate-Chart.pdf

Faster powder will give you higher pressures (sometimes much higher) and more recoil for limited velocity increase. Play safe, use recommended loads from a manual.

A

Archived