deer hunting trip

Well the morning came quick after a late night, i got into the landy at 2:45 Am and picked a friend up an hour later off we headed up the road a 220mile round trip....... B) thinking the night look promising until we got to the permission. the fog was in the hunting permission but it was still huntable.

We got out and started stalking up a long narrow lane that leads to the fields we stalk, and saw two doe's and a calf which was very young indeed.

We got to within 40 yards and a bark went up and over the fence into an area where we cant shoot, hoping that no bucks heard the bark up the lane we trundled, Softly softly,

on reaching the opening We spoted a lone Fallow but it was about 150 yards away and we could'nt make out what it was as it grazed towards us, half an hour passed and the moonlight was giving way to dawn.....but the fog bank was not playing to our favour.

Slowly the fallow grazed and turned to make way to the woods, So we made a call and stalked it for a good 25 mins.... under fences and along the woods edge, Suddenly we spotted a doe and calf making there way up the field towards us about 120 yards away......looking to see if the calf was male took all our concentration, and that which promotes growth and vigour bounding up the field 90 degrees to my position there is a buck not 80 yards stopped dead knowing something wasn't right he stared at us for the best part of 5 mins not a move did we make rifles pointing at the hind and calf, slowly the the young buck started to graze and i moved my rifle slowly around to the one o clock position in the long grass as i rustled to turn up the head went, staring for another 30 second to a minute he walked or sturted up about 50 yards to the doe and calfs direction, still trying to get turned for the shot he grazed down the field a little, turning and looking not sure what the movement was i just got him in my sights and he bounded forward about 15 yards and stopped, having to shift my rifle around again took time and as he slowly walked away from us i got the scope on him, my shooting partner gave a little shout and he stopped to look BANG in the neck and down he went.......one of the best stalks i had in the last few years..............

yeah nothing beats the good stalk, As for the two trigger fingers mate, i'm a leftie so my trigger finger is the same as the one i wipe my eye with ;)

As promised the pics.............the i'm off out after red prickets in a mo followed by some foxing...........ye ha...............

post-8561-1222105832_thumb.jpg

As you can see it's not a bad little buck..........well chuffed with it

post-8561-1222105845_thumb.jpg

The 95g sst mushroomed perfectly and has retained a fair proportion of its weight, i'm well pleased with it,

cheers guy's

Snap.

Archived