Why I dont like BT's for stalking!!!

Middlestead

I head shot a roe with 150 BTs from a 308 and it was an instant fall over backwards dead. When I skinned it for the butchering I found a few bits on the surface of its back just under the skin. Definetly not in the line of the shot but obviously fragments that had parted with the main bulk.

I didn't think they were good for that purpose but at 150 yds on a fox it totally cleaned the left side out of one from the neck to the back leg and from the backbone across the left ribs area and round to the right ribs. Certainly impressive for fox.

I have to agree about those B.T's I use the 100 gn Noslers in my 6.5x47 Lapua and it spread a crow over 40 feet at a hundred yards :o

Varminter had to use his range finder to measure the spread of the damage :P

Cheers

Dave

An SST is a ballistic tip B) The nosler is the only named BT as it was them that designed it. All other polymer tipped expanding ammo is effectively a BT.

Good shooting and photos as well. MASSIVE fox damage.

J

Shot a wee buck in the back of the head the same night as those 3 foxes, one antler was gone, the other hanging by a thread B) I was cutting silage so had to call the wife to come and get the buck with her car. The kids were pissing themselves laughing at his half a head, boys are great!!! No pics of the buck, forgot to take any in the hurry to get on with silage cutting(wasted enough time already!!!)

i shot 12 sika this week with a 270 using 110 v max norma one chest shot on a hind she went 15 m two heads on a hind and calf the calf head was gone the rest were necks , this type of ammo is ideal for this type of culling but not for chesting as its expanding to fast .i would not like to shoot a rutting sika stag on the shoulder with this ammo it just might not go through .will use 130 gr federal B tips or SSTs lucky they all have the same point of aim at 100 yds

Nemasis I have some pictures relevant to this thread as you requested but don't know how to post pics. I could email them to someone if they would post them?

I dont get as much foxing done as i used to but never really opened them up like Middlestead's the odd 1. Iv done not bad this past month had 2 last week & in cracking condition. My 22.250 50g v-max just go in & no exit really even at 20-30m & leave a clean fox but a crow/rabbit etc is all over the place & the crows go with a fair pop.

I found the 55gr nos bt's out of a 22-250 hold up almost too well

and I had foxes run with heart shots. Fed sp's and a-maxes explode.

In the 308 the noslers are very aggresive but so are the sst's.

I couldn't see a difference.

This 165gr SST I picked out of the spine of my sika on the weekend.

It travelled at around 2600fps, I must say it hit a lot of bone.

We didn't find any lead.

edi

165grsst.jpg

Archived