Shooting orgs

RoryH

Following a conversation elsewhere and some of the pretty petty tribalistic responses I thought I'd post here.

Now I've been a BASC member for quite some time as I think they do provide a good representation of all aspects of shooting along with the insurance and offers etc. that members can benefit from.

Which org. or combination of do you good folks prefer and why?

I ask here as I know there are a variety of opinions and it is more likely that I'll get a measured and sensible discussion than some of the puerile nonsense I've been reading lately.

Thanks.

I was just about to ask a similar question. I've been a BASC member for as long as I've been a shooter.

My game shooting syndicate is switching from BASC to the Sportsman's Association which I've never heard of so I'm interested to know if anyone else has heard of them or rate them.

I am a long time BASC member, and I was a member of the Sportsman's Association for a couple of years. I liked their focus on legislation and what you might call "gun rights". When it came time to renew I called them a few times without success and so I concluded that if I couldn't contact them to renew then if I needed any help or advice I would be out of luck. I think they are basically a one man band. BASC have depth and bredth to represent shooting and help individuals.

As to the replies so far. Thanks gents, that's pretty much how I read it.

What about you other guys with NGO or NRA backgrounds?

Anyone with a deeper knowlege of the SA?

MrC,I have been a BASC member for a long time.

I sometimes think it's not very rifle oriented ( stalking,airgun,pigeon,dogs,gear...etc are covered/represented-more pages on shotgun game shootng-but that is where a lot of shooters/money etc is).

But it good on conservation and outstanding on shooter's rights in efffecive Police/politicaal lobbying.

Just compare the BASC 'Shooting and Conservation' magazine with any other organisation's input on these,and BASC's PRwork-MP's on clay shoots.young shooter and regional committees...etc

I don't read it all-very selectively now that I don't shoot game with shotgun.But it's clear it's a very effective promoter of shooting sports.

The Firearms Department are absolutely outstanding,on any FAC type issues-they know the law and the modus (modii,if you like) operadii of regional FEOs-and are always polite and legally well advised....they were involved in most of the negotiations etc....

That is the clincher for me...and Bill Hardiman is a gun man-though the whole firearms tem are very good-that does not mean extreme-it means as close to the law/best practice as you are likely to get.Insurance too,etc etc.

We all benefit from such effective and informed,balanced representation-bullets via post is just the latest sensible lobbied improvement...

gbal

Archived