17 Fireball working at last

Deerless

Finally got to shoot the new 17 Fireball a couple of days ago using factory ammo. The results were a disaster so decided to pull the remaining rounds after taking some measurements. The bloody heads were crimped so tight, I wondered how they ever parted from the case

I then seated one of the factory tips into a modified case and found that the factory ammo was 81thou short in my chamber which is why they were so awful.

Cases then trimmed and loaded with lovely Berger 25gr MEF's behind 17.5 to 18.5grn's of H322. OAL set 5thou off and away I went.

Best group of .146 achieved with 17.7grn load and groups opened up as charge grew. Not that botherd about 100 or so feet per second when it groups like this. (would post a pic if I knew how)

Next thing was to call DASHERMAN who put the rifle together for me and thank him for what seems to be an excellent piece of work.

40 rounds now loaded and the rabbits better run scared tomorrow.

Sako A1 action/stock and Pac nor 1-9 barrel.

was it a straight swop for the hmr on your ticket ,if so did you get bother over changeing it over to centerfire ?? i looked in to it after reading your post as its far better rifle than the hmr , im like you i like to be on my target and need not to miss to often if i can help it plus im loading my own ammo now so that helps in keeping the price down ..thats why im asking B)

was it a straight swop for the hmr on your ticket ,if so did you get bother over changeing it over to centerfire ?? i looked in to it after reading your post as its far better rifle than the hmr , im like you i like to be on my target and need not to miss to often if i can help it plus im loading my own ammo now so that helps in keeping the price down ..thats why im asking B)

I HAVE A FORM 101 READY TO DO A VARIATION FOR A FIREBALL, BUT I THINK I'LL KEEP THE 17 HMR THOUGH

I HAVE A FORM 101 READY TO DO A VARIATION FOR A FIREBALL, BUT I THINK I'LL KEEP THE 17 HMR THOUGH

I did a straight swap for the HMR and it wasn't a problem as I already had centre fire on my ticket. I took her out the other night and opened up with head shots on rabbits out to 147yds and longest was a shoulder shot at 192yds. The impact on this one was exactly where I had put the Nightforce illuminated dot, so pretty flat as expected.

The next test is on Charlie to see if what our American friends say about it being an excellent fox rifle is true. If this is correct then my expectation of it being a true dual purpose replacement for the HMR will be realised.

As for brass, a nice box containing 160 new cases arrived from Midway this morning so no problem getting hold of it now.

Will keep people osted re fox results.

Paul

Archived