A Varminting/Exbal cry for help !

skany

Hi Guys

This realy is a bit of a cry for help reqarding exball really

Ive buggerd about with it & it just dosent seem to work for me!

with my load that ive chronoed its ok out to about 420yds then i have to knock of more & more clicks but in reality i jsut end up shooting over stuff!

I have a new load with a unknown fps that i use now but obvisoly it even worse with guessed FPS

what i could really do with is someone whos within a hour or two(or closer idealy) with a acurate chrono to help set me up thats knows the ins & outs of exball!

I have plenty of permisons so could return the trip/day out without a problem!:-)

I just read all these long range shots on here one shot kills ect & to be honest i dont even expect to conect past 450 as its jsut guessing!

heres hoping

cheers Andy

I wish we were closer,myself and Col48 was out yesterday with the chrono and exbell,we got a kill at 610 yards

well done pete

well & truely in the 500yds club then:-)

this is why i gota get it dialed in better

I had a go at a 508yd crow last week took 3/4 moa off & still had it go 3" above it!Doh!

Andy

Were you shooting into a head on wind? are you also using a wind meter, you really do need one when using Exbal. you will also need to put the incline of the shot, either up or down.

Hi mate

the 508 yd shot was head on no wind (yeps have a meter)

on the level to!

it may not have been exactily 3" over it but it looked a fair bit:-(

cheers Andy

Andy

the simplest solution to your problem may be to set up targets at 50 yd / meter increments beyond your zero and check your drop against Exbal.

Northernchris advised a week or two ago that you can ajust the strike in the tragectory compensation mode to ajsut impact point within Exbal - I have to say I use an alternative method of ajusting the bullet BC in the first page to suit my own rifles.

Either solution will work, but nothing will replace actual range strikes - especially if your chrono is an unknown / unreliable resource.

Too far for me for a day trip, sorry mate!

Also a seeming 3 inch miss over the top may be alot less than that in reality if you check it.

Wind, incline and topgraphy also need taking into account - there could be a breeze impacting on bullet strike downrange that you missed perhaps?

Its just a thought, well more like personal experience but I had a similar problem when I first starting using the thinggy computer widgit. Id chronoed the loads for the 6.5 swe (139 scenars)and my .223 (69 smk and 75 H amax). So far so good! Went down to Bisley for a fun weekend and some long range frollicks and I was getting on the board at 500 and 600yds with the .223 and the same with 6.5 at 800,900 and 1000. Problem was the POI was off by miles much to the mirth of my shooting pard. Plenty of tweaking with the up/down turret :lol: So much for technology :lol:

Later that night after a few beers I had a bit of a think and afew more beers. I decided to tweak the velocity in exbal and increased it but kept the BC scope height etc constant.Didnt bother with temp and pressure adjustments or even incline-its pretty flat down there! Using this test velocity I repeated the 500 600 yds with .223 and 900 and 1000 with the swede and first shots hit where they were supposed to be :lol: !

This could all point to a faulty chrono or the scope not having true moa clicks.

Like I said its just a thought!

Oh my location may help! :lol:

Barnstaple

Devon

cheers Andy

Hi Andy ,

So you are having problems with Exbal and getting it to coincide with your rifle / load data!!!!

I see you live in Barstaple in Devon and i live in Truro Cornwall , so how about we arrange a meet because i have a chrono / Exbal on computer and PDA and can sort you out some " real " time data out for your rifle and load combo!!! :lol:

Give me a PM mate................. ;):lol:

All the best........................

RAY..................................... ;) ;)

Archived