The red rutt.

Guest sniper#1

I called a huge red stag during the rut last october to within 600 mtrs.I used a cutoff plastic bottle and just replicated the stag it was just amazin.sadly I did'nt get him but i'll be back in scotland in 3 weeks or so for another try.good luck

Hi auquhollie,

As Sniper#1 said, a plastic bottle with the bottom cut off does exactly the same job !

Bugger, so i just paid £45 for a cut off coke bottle :rolleyes:

Bugger, Just cut up a bottle and tried it. Sounds just like a stag but maybe not as loud.

Ah well looks like the caller is going back :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was out last weekend and could hear one roaring just inside the wood. Never showed himself though. Just thought i could coax them out of cover with a caller. Will give it a try very soon.

Ads

I used to drive to ground in Killin, on the way down I used to pass a deer farm. I used to practice outside there, when they roared back I knew I wasn;t far away. I didn't use a call, just my throat. Had one charge towards the tree line I was in once, I s**t myself.

Good fun but can be dangerous

J

Went out tonight and stalked into a high seat were i know there are plenty of reds moving around. I did try a few calls but nothing showed up. I tryed just 2 or 3 calls then waited 20 mins then another 2 or 3 calls and so on.

Is this how it should be done ?.

Only ever called in the roe rutt, never reds.

How exactly do you do it ?. Got the calling part sussed just not sure of the sequence in which to do it. :)

Ads

Hi adam look for there wallows or stand & call them up but its still quite early yet. Or stalk into a roaring stag & try call him out with 2-3 calls then 1-2min break & give it 5min im out at my mates tonight to try.

Never heard out the other night but i noticed three wallows that have been all scraped out ready so its not far away.

Let us know how you get on Barry.

Archived