First Home Load Results for my 243

sandersj89

OK, have tested my first go at home loading the 243 today.

I had made up 5 batches of ammo, basic components were:

Hornady Vmax 75 Grain Bullet

Federal Case

Remington Primer

Hodgdon 414 Powder

The first load started at 42 grains of powder and each batch increased by one grain up to 46 grains, the results of a 4 shot group for each are below. Shots taken prone of a Harris bipod and no bag.

(Note, the squares are one inch)

42 Grain Powder, the final shot to the right was entirely my fault and not down to the load, as soon as I pulled the trigger I knew it was a fluffed shot.

100_3005.jpg

43 Grain, the top shot may be down to me so possibly should be discounted.

100_3008.jpg

44 Grain, getting better.

100_3009.jpg

45 Grain, seem to me to be the best.

100_3010.jpg

46 Grain, things start to open up a little.

100_3011.jpg

All cases looked fine after shooting and I think I am pretty pleased with the results of my first attempt at loading. 45 grain look to me to be the best.

Jerry

Looks like 45g and a bit of fine tuning of load and or seat depth and its a goer!

Well done on the first time loads - kinda think you will have caught the bug now :)

Looks like 45g and a bit of fine tuning of load and or seat depth and its a goer!

Well done on the first time loads - kinda think you will have caught the bug now :)

I picked up an AOL gauge yesterday so will have a tinker with that. I will make up a batch of 45 grain again to see if I can replicate the original load for consistancy.

I am more than happy with my rifle now, shoots better than I can for sure, would be happy to take the 45 grain load out in the field too.

Next thing is work out the drop chart, so any help would be apprieciated.

The best and most accurate (for your rifle) is to zero at whatever range you chose (suggest 100 / 150 mtrs or yards)

The set targets out at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 etc to whatever your comfortable maximum is.

Make the targets long like, three sheets of A4 stacked on top of each other, with an aim point in the middle of the upper sheet.

Use THIS aim point only and shoot 3 shot groups at each distance noting the bullet strike after each string of fire - this will give you real world ballistics of your rifle / bullet.

Next stage is a ballistic programme, but the drop chart wont run out of batteries at an inopertune time will it :lol::)

Archived