Fox calls

Well after njc110381 asked if the WAM fox call was any good I thought I would share what Fox calls I use.

Some of you may say I’m a gadget man (my family do) each call gets used and some to varying degrees, but I feel that all calls have there place, and on some nights, NO call will work.

First off we have what hopefully everyone here has, your hand. It takes some time to be able to get various sounds, but with practice (I recommend you do this when you are alone, either in your car or at home, or anywhere where you won’t be told to “WILL YOU SHUT UP”.) One tip i do have is make sure it's not the hand you pick the foxes up with once you have shot one :D

Myfoxcalls.jpg

Then we have the the Foxpro FX3, and the most expensive call I have, and while some may think a bit extreme, this is a very useful piece of kit. I have used this twice since I have had it and it has accounted for a Fox that I feel I wouldn’t of got without it. This is simple to use, the difficult thing is choosing which sound to use.

Myfoxcalls001.jpg

Myfoxcalls004.jpg

Next we have the WAM call, and it has called in a few foxes since I’ve had it, easy to use, you can alter the volume, but it is hard to get a very high volume sound from it, but none the less a good call.

Myfoxcalls007.jpg

Here is my HOME MADE call, which I made many years ago, before you could purchase this call in plastic. I saw how to make one in a very old Gunmart, but they used an old wooden clothes peg. This I made out of a small hazel twig, which I split in half, slightly cut away a small groove from each, then placed a bit of plastic in the middle, secured it one end and then stretched it so it is taught and secured it the other end. By biting in the middle you can alter the pitch.

Myfoxcalls010.jpg

Here are two wooden calls from America, one was a Squirrel call with a rubber bulb at the end, but after a few years the rubber split and now I use it along with the larger one, blowing it in a cupped hand and by opening and closing my hand I get various sounds from them.

Myfoxcalls009.jpg

Now we have one I bought from Attleborough, and again a good call, you can also take the rubber tube off and use just the mouth piece. The good thing about this call is it double’s up as a Roe/Sika call too.

Myfoxcalls008.jpg

This one was on an old camping kettle, and while the volume isn’t that good the sound get’s the foxes interest and has brought a few in for me.

Myfoxcalls012.jpg

Ok, some of may wonder what the hell is this?? Well it’s a kids toy, but Primo’s do them specifically for Deer calling, and they have a pretty price tag to boot. This one cost me all of £2.50.

The idea came to me after watching Whistling foxes where on some of the foxes he shouts “Oi” or “Baaa”, and while getting a few foxes myself doing this, I thought why not get this, it’s a sound a fox has never heard and stops then for the shot.

Myfoxcalls005.jpg

Myfoxcalls006.jpg

This is the Primos Pro screamer, and it takes some getting used too, but once you master it, the range of sounds you can produce is left to you.

Myfoxcalls013.jpg

And lastly we have the Fulhaber hare call, and again, it seems to be a weird sound but it works, and I have called Hares in but not shot them.

Myfoxcalls014.jpg

Myfoxcalls017.jpg

I also have a Primo's mouse squeaker too, but can't seem to find it!!!!!!!

That's an impressive array of calls that you've got there, The first one, well I've got two of those! :P Got a wham and a couple of digi's including a cas creek or what ever it's called and a U Caller, got a Primos Pro screamer too, and one or two other bits and bobs, I must say that some work sometimes and not others, the U Caller has scared the last two away, used my mouth (not hand) to get them in. I must look like this whilst I'm doing it :D:blush:

Nice write up by the way.

Archived