Young 1982 and his first shot with the 243

nemasis243

Well guys it was a last minute thing last night but rang Gethin(Young 1982) to see if he would like to come out and shoot a few rabbits for me , the weather , for a change was great :o so Gethin and my self turned up on the yard of a turkey farm where I do the vermin for and got the Mule kitted out and off we set.

Geth has his own 17HMR but last nite I let him use mine as he wanted to try one with a lighter trigger set up , he loved it ,its only got a 6x42 meopta on the top, but gethin started head shooting bunnies well out to 80yrds , The shot of the night with the 17 was a head shot at 120 ,the bunny did a 3ft back flip awsum to see :P

Along the way I picked up a few charlies ,4 in all, the first was a nice head shot at 180 with the old 243, I had to shoot it in the head as he was in a hollow with a bank behind him as he had just come off feeding on a bait I had there, It evaperated the face of the fox completely and when we got to it the head (what was left of it was face down as if it had its head down a hole, it looked real odd :P

05092008198.jpg

I caught up with another 3 and did one with the HMR as he ran down the field , he stopped about 160yrds away and I aimed just on the top of the skull and the round went right between the eyes, a corking little shot if I say so myself as I was shooting from a standing position using X sticks.

After seeing the standard of gethins shoot I asked if he would like to try the 243 at a few rabbits , he jumped at the chance and soon he was getting the first bunny in the centre of the Illuminated dot of the Doctor optic 8x56.He had had a few dry goes of the trigger just to get used to the light pull, all my guns are set the same (11/4llb) and are great when you get used to them.

I told Gethin the shot was safe and he loaded a round and after a little while sent a 58grn Vmax 170yrds into an unsuspecting bunny,

You know when someones happy ,you just look at their face and theres a grin from ear to ear :D its just a shame he didnt smile in the photo.

06092008201.jpg

We moved over to another field and Gething took aim on some more, ( Im glad I took plenty of ammo :o )

He had some cracking shots connecting with all but one rabbit which was some way off,

The best of the nite with the 243 was a rabbit at about 180, he shot it and the rabbit must have jumped 5ft in the air , I wish i had had it on Video.

We had a cracking nite and Gethin is good company , he posted on here a while back looking for a mentor and I am glad I answerd the call, he is very keen and takes in what you tell him, he is a credit to our sport, :D

06092008202.jpg

Cheers Andy

Glad you both had a good nights lamping. Hopefully will catch up with you lads next weekend to try and sort out Vern's lamp shy foxes.

As ever Andy a great write up and it looks like Gethin is finding his feet well. This will boad well when he wants to apply for a centrefire.

Speak to you soon.

Dave

First and for most I have to thank Andy for taking me up the turkey farm it had to be one of the most enjoyable nights out I've had. And also for portraying me in such a good light, your to kind :lol:

I started out the evening a bit shaky (literally), I think it had something to do with the pint sized can of energy drink I had on the drive up (won't be doing that again). It definitely made a difference to my shooting as at the start of the evening I was hitting more rabbits in the body than in the head but after about an hour it had worn off and I was back to my normal self.

Andy was on top form as usual pulling off some cracking shots with both the .17hmr and .243, It was a joy to watch :lol:

Friday night will be memorable for me for two reasons, one was pulling off my best shot with the HMR to date, and secondly being responsible for causing a rabbit to vaporize using Andy's .243.

I know to photo doesn't show it but I felt like I'd just won the Euro millions after getting my first kill with a .243 :lol:

ATB

Gethin

Archived