Worrying events

between the eyes

I have a question but first I need to explain why.

I have been using homeloads in my .223 (Hornady 50 grains) and never had any issues, I ran out of homeloads and so bought some factory ammo, again Hornady 50 grains. I went foxing last Friday and in my NV scope I saw a Fox at about 50 yds, aimed and shot it, (1st shot with the new rounds) I saw the fox roll over and saw it's legs in the air as it did so. However I went to pick it up and it was gone? Searched everywhere but never found it. :D Then the night before last I was out again, fox at 56 yards but trotting away from me, aimed and shot, saw what I presumed was the same fox run away, but still had a look round in case he was running dead. Never found it, but today the land owner rang to say thanks for shooting that fox! He had found it dead about 50 yds away from where I had shot it. BIG hole in it's side :wub:

So, my question is this, why are they not dropping on the spot, they normally do and this is causing me some anguish as I do like to clean up after me especially for foxes and on the Golf courses that I shoot on. Any ideas? (Point of impact is the same by the way...)

Sounds interesting!!! :D

If thats the case shoot them in the head and have done with it - they wont get up from that!!!!!

Sorry to sound to the point , i find that normally the classic side on heart shot would drop them on the spot , but sometimes they are so full of Adrenalin that they run for a short distance when shot this way!!!!

Take when i was using a 6.5-284 loaded with 140 grain bullets , it has masses of energy on target but i have had 3 instances where they have ran for a short distance when shot!!!

When on examination of the fox , it was a perfect shot to the heart / lungs area with massive damage , so its just the case that the fox was dead when hit - it just did not know it what with the adrenalin when coming into the call!!!!

Just some thoughts i hope you do not mind me sharing!!!!

All the best..................

RAY............................................ :D:wub:

Thanks Ray, I do normally shoot them in the head but my NV is only 3x mag so I have started to go for the bigger target just to be sure. But like I said it is only since I have used these factory rounds, may just be coinsidence? Who knows. Anyway, I've done some more Home loads now so I'll just burn the others off at bunnies to be safe! :D

Thanks Ray, I do normally shoot them in the head but my NV is only 3x mag so I have started to go for the bigger target just to be sure. But like I said it is only since I have used these factory rounds, may just be coinsidence? Who knows. Anyway, I've done some more Home loads now so I'll just burn the others off at bunnies to be safe! :D

Your welcome mate!! :D:wub:

Sometimes even when we do our utmost on placing a perfect shot, that animals can react in different ways!!! , take deer for instance - most will drop on the spot but sometimes they run a few yards - and when you do the gralloch you see the heart and lungs are taken out , so a good placement of shot and a classic case of adrenaline!!!

I bet if you was to recover a fox that ran a few yards after being shot and then examined the heart - it would be solid , indicating the animal was aware and full of adrenaline!!!

I hope i have explained okay!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best....................

RAY.................................... :D :D

If the impact point is the same and you get a big exit hole that suggests you are using Vmax, not a lot wrong with that bullet, my favorite fox fodder.

I have had a look at the Hornady site,

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=ba...1aec57bb74a84a5

I cant see a factory 50 grain load !, perhaps the four didget batch number from the end of the box will help. I see there is a 53 grain shell loaded with a match bullet, this might be the issue but I sometimes use match bullets for foxes with no issues but in a bigger caliber. If this is what you are using then maybe use head shots.

There are 50 gr Vmax bullets in .224, here is a link to the bullets page;

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=ba...638762a8dfe1810

Does the bullet in your factory round have a coloured plastic tip?.

If it does them to be honest shot placement is my only answer but I have never had anything shot through the chest with a VMax move at all, they just drop on the spot. Perhaps change to head shots until you get some more cases reloaded.

A

Guest northernchris

I ran some factory Hornady 55gr V-Max ammo last year out of my .22-250,and had a few run a fair bit further than the norm.I pulled some of the factory ammo heads and the weighed trhem lets just say there was a huge weight variation between several heads,i also cut some up and you could see where the weight vartion was :D maybe Hornady run "seconds" in their factory fodder???? Bearing in mind handloading componets are their core business.

iv shot them with a .223 in the side leaveing a bloody big hole and they have made it on a few more yds and head on in the chest blown them to bits it has ,front legs all smashed up how it ever ran on is beyound me but it did ,,thats why i take a dog to track them down dead or alive they must be found ..as it dont count if it aint at your feet :lol:

To be honest I would use the 40gr Vmax factory fodder, easily good to 200yds and the velocity is up at the top.

Better still start doing your own and save money, I used (and the current owner still uses) in my Rem the 50gr Vmax bullet to SAAMI length with 27.5grs of Varget and Fed 205 primers, never had a bad result with it, out to 250 yds they used to be dead as a doornail if hit in body or head.

It used to group into half an inch too so good and accurate, he has fitted a T8 mod and is claiming near quarter inch consistentl all at 100yds plus.

Much more satisfying too if you have made the ammo yourself.

Redfox

BTE,

I would guess shot placement.

I had two runners this year, both with perfect heart shots.

Shoot em a bit higher and they plop on the spot.

I can't imagine the bullet not working. Although I stopped

using 52gr a-maxes because they had a big variation in length.

The noslers are much more accurately manufactured.

edi

hasn't been mentioned and I don't want to assume anything.

Did you re-zero your scope for the factory rounds? Sounds like shot placement was the culprit. If you didn't re-zero you could have been a few inches off where you were aiming. Might have hit it back a little far which would have caused an immediate drop and then let the fox get back up and go some more.

thanks,

rick

Archived