Sako A1 action pros & cons

skany

looking at getting together some bits & bobs & know of a sako a1 action trigger & stock for £350

is that about the right cash?

ive never seen one in the flesh & was wondering what the benifits of this action would be?

over say a howa or such?

would it need truing up ect or would it be good to go & just lob a barrel on it

and is the trigger much cop?

cheers Andy

Also ive been searching for stock options without much luck !

is there a problem with aftermarket stuff for these?

it does come with a lam stock but ive not seen it so may hate it so thinking ahead here :D

cheers Andy

I have just bought one off a member here and seen it or the first time today. It looks and feels very good. The proof will be in the firing. Prior to buying I talked to Callum Ferguson, he told me that he would buy an A1 straight away. If that is not a good indication of a good action, then there isn't one.

Cheers,

J

I've been down this route with the L461 Sako action (earlier than the A1 I think). I wanted a 222 and rather than do the sensible thing and just buy a new one I bought an old Sako. The plan was that if it shot then I was a winner and if it didn't I'd give it a new barrel and still be under the cost of a new rifle. The initial research suggested that a number of gunsmiths were buying early Sako actions for specials and this was also a confidence booster.

To cut a long story short the gun didn't shoot and I was sucked into giving it the full works. It turned out the action was far from being true and needed quite a bit of work to sort it out. Then of course it needed bluing. And a new barrel. Might as well bed it. How about a new McMillan stock.........

Based on this, one-off, experience I caution against budgeting for rebarrelling without considering the possibility that you might need more work straightening up the action. Sakos, particularly the older ones, have a good reputation for quality but mine wasn't on the square!

Now it's finished it's a thing of beauty though, much nicer than the news ones which look a bit 'budget'.

Cornishman.

Archived